Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: finding jobs for the disabled

Finding jobs for the disabled

You know that title makes me cringe. . 'The disabled' - sounds like we're talking about an alien race - that's us! Please say something like 'Finding jobs for disabled people' - now that covers all impairments.

Reading this thread and having read that people have sent out nearly 1000 applications and only got four negative replies means you're not doing something right.

It's a shame that there isn't a forum on how to write a decent CV. Everyone has skills that you might just take for granted. If you look after your on household budget then you have financial skills. Creating a shopping list - shows you have organisational skills.

Tailor make each CV to match the job you're applying for - that's how you get shortlisted for an interview. Don't send out the same CV to different organisations.

By the way I'm only trying to be constructive if you're really wanting to work not being judgmental.

Lighttouch, i am sorry that the title of this thread, that i started offended you, the reason i used it was because it was said by the MP who asked the question i refered to, perhaps i should have mentioned this.

Please do not judge me several weeks later as it is only by chance i noticed your comment and am able to reply.

Lighttouch i think your comments regarding cv's are a little naive, Personnel managers, or should that be human resource managers, (titles again that may offend! sorry) very often get no further than ones date of birth or present occupation, before binning the cv, as politically incorrect as this may sound.This may disadvantage some people on here.

I have been lucky enough to be employed by my company for over 40 years so have not needed to send my own cv to anyone, however i am told by several people, who employ others, that this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjanet View Post
    Lighttouch i think your comments regarding cv's are a little naive, Personnel managers, or should that be human resource managers, (titles again that may offend! sorry) very often get no further than ones date of birth or present occupation, before binning the cv, as politically incorrect as this may sound.This may disadvantage some people on here.

I have been lucky enough to be employed by my company for over 40 years so have not needed to send my own cv to anyone, however i am told by several people, who employ others, that this is the case.
    Hello Saint Janet, I like your name - I can see you dressed in white ankle length robe, with blond hair and a glistening halo hovering above your head and with hands clasped together in a praying way - sorry it's just my imagination. lol

You're entitled to your opinion. All I know today HR/Personnel are looking for people who have the right 'qualities' eg flexibility, good attitude, aptitude, team player, conscientious etc. If you have the right qualities you can be trained up into a post. You're right about ages - you're less likely to find a job after 50 full time.

I've seen one post advertised that received over 300 applicants. They will only interview 6 people for the job so unless your CV shines out you won't get a look in.

I honestly think the easiest way into employment is through short term contracts or through a placement agency - there's less competition. At least it gives you a flavour of work and you can add that to your CV. Nobody said it's easy.

Has anyone been a temp or done part time work? What's your experience?

You are wrong again I'm afraid, the saint in saintjanet is nothing to do with halo's but simply the fact that i support a team known as saints .

While i have no intention of criticising your opinion of the cv, i still think it difficult to make lack of experience, and or qualifications , the fact that you may not have worked for several years, plus health issues, attractive on a cv that nobody will read. I agree that if you and i have a similar degree and experience it would certainly help if one had a better cv.

Account deleted
    Lets see, I have worked in numerous charities, some well known some not so well known, I teach at an SEN school or should I say help out, special education needs. I use to coach disability football and become a regional disability coach for the local council. I'm a first aider .

I have done lots of bits and bobs in the local area for community work, all for free of course.

I repair computers for the elderly if they go down.

But when it comes to paid work not a blooming hope , oh I get the jobs for a few weeks at Christmas, and the council love me to help out with disability issues.

But work nope not a hope .....

Quote Originally Posted by saintjanet View Post
    You are wrong again I'm afraid, the saint in saintjanet is nothing to do with halo's but simply the fact that i support a team known as saints .

While i have no intention of criticising your opinion of the cv, i still think it difficult to make lack of experience, and or qualifications , the fact that you may not have worked for several years, plus health issues, attractive on a cv that nobody will read. I agree that if you and i have a similar degree and experience it would certainly help if one had a better cv.
    Ah ha Sintjanet - the lover of a team involving a ball of a non-spherical shape perhaps,

I know you are right. The higher your qualification the higher the points allocated and the higher your grade of pay. During these difficult times middle management are the first to go as front line services are obviously the most important. So it's workers on the coal face that are in demand.

Getting your foot in the door is most definitely the hardest thing to do. Networking is the answer. The more people you actively get to know through contacts, in an area of work you're interested in certainly helps.

yes the none spherical ball! saints= St.Helens RLFC as you seem to be aware.

Regards, Jan

I thought as much Jan - those rippling muscles, shorts and physical contact sport - well I can offer two out of three but not on a rugby field. lol Well my shorts are by made by 'Nike' which means 'just do it'.

Well I've been on a ferry across the Mersey - I feel a visit coming on - tea, milk and no sugar please.

Hi there, I think it depends on what his disabilities to get a job.. I was so encourage to those who have disabilities but they can performed thier job like normal.