Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESA support group or wrag

ESA support group or wrag

my benefit finishes 30th April, if I can't appeal, can I apply again for this benefit or is there a time limit. My health issues are getting worse. I am now being referred to the mental health team.

davewhit
    if esa cb ends you might get esa ir you need to get expert advice......the only way you could get esa cb is to get into support group its too late to appeal you need to contact dwp and ask for review if you can show and prove your ill enough for support group

The limited capability for work assessment is a points based system for assessing your ability to carry out various activities. If you score enough points under this assessment you will be eligible to join the WRAG group. The assessment is made up of a physical health test and a 'mental', cognitive and intellectual function test.

Claimants who are placed in the support group have to pass this assessment and then a further one, the limited capability for work-related activity assessment. This is divided into 17 activities, 10 physical and 7 which assess mental health and learning difficulties.

The majority of people who get into the WRAG do so by scoring 15 points or more in the assessment. If you fail this you won't get awarded ESA at all, though you can appeal instead, you'll have to try to claim jobseeker's allowance

When filling out the form don't just tick boxes. Use the 'more information' boxes to give detailed evidence for the activity.

Take the test . . .
    http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php

Keep us up to date with what's happening and we'll see what can be done to help.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 04-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.

If the ESA finishes on 30th April because it has been contribution based, any future new claim made after that date would be treated as means tested ESA.
    If it is finishing for any other reason and you are within the time limit for an appeal then yes - lodge an appeal.
    I would check the letter you have had carefully to establish the reason for the change. If it says you can no longer be paid conts based ESA after April 30th because of the rule change on that date you may be able to still claim Income Based ESA depending on your circumstances.

thank you, have been to CAB today, and have a proper appointment tomorrow. I will be living on my own from Friday and will have no income apart from my esa. My letter states that this will stop because of my contributions base claim. From Friday I will be on only housing benefit, but want to change over to income related benefit for the esa. My last assessment was november 2011 and the one before that was november 2010. there is no mention of time limits. Will I have to re-claim for the esa as it has not been stopped through failing the assessment. How do I fight this.

There are other benefits, but I would not like to say you will get them. The CAB is the best place & I hope they can ease your mind.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by dawnrone View Post
    thank you, have been to CAB today, and have a proper appointment tomorrow. I will be living on my own from Friday and will have no income apart from my esa. My letter states that this will stop because of my contributions base claim. From Friday I will be on only housing benefit, but want to change over to income related benefit for the esa. My last assessment was november 2011 and the one before that was november 2010. there is no mention of time limits. Will I have to re-claim for the esa as it has not been stopped through failing the assessment. How do I fight this.
    Hi Dawnrome,

Let's get this right. You were in work then perhaps you were made redundant.

You were able to claim contributions ESA as you couldn't claim income based ESA as your husband works so as a household your income is too much. You've claimed contributory ESA for longer than 365 days so they will stop paying you this benefit on the 30 April. Now you're saying that you will be living on your own from 20 April - I guess you and your husband are separating. If that is the case I think you could be entitled to income based ESA as you no longer have a regular wage coming in from your husband.

I think you'll need to put a fresh claim in for Income based ESA as quickly as possible. You need to get in touch with a support worker to help you fill out the form.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Yes you will have to go onto Income Based ESA, which is likely to mean making a new claim (although at the moment I'm still not clear on this - I haven't managed to see one of the letters yet.)
    This change isn't one you can fight. It is happening to everyone who has been on conts based ESA for 12 months or more, unless they are in the Support Group. But hopefully by the time you read this CAB will have explained it in much more detail for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    If the ESA finishes on 30th April because it has been contribution based, any future new claim made after that date would be treated as means tested ESA.
    If it is finishing for any other reason and you are within the time limit for an appeal then yes - lodge an appeal.
    I would check the letter you have had carefully to establish the reason for the change. If it says you can no longer be paid conts based ESA after April 30th because of the rule change on that date you may be able to still claim Income Based ESA depending on your circumstances.
    can u explain what income related ESA is my husband has been placed in the ESA support group but has benn advised he may be able to claim income related ESA and he was sent a ESA3 FORM, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE I work full time as a nurse and have a good income is that taken into account and does he have to apply .if he doesnt apply does he just keep his Esa SUPPORT GROUP PAYMENT.

There are two types of Employment and Support Allowance:

contribution-based
    income-related

Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
    You may be entitled to claim contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions. The length of time you can get contribution-based Employment Support Allowance depends on your circumstances. If you are not in the support group, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance is time limited to 365 days.

I guess your partner will now have to apply for the benefit below as your hours, joint savings will be taken into account even if he is put in the Support Group.

Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
    You may be entitled to claim income-based Employment and Support Allowance if you do not have enough money coming in, or you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions, and you satisfy the entitlement conditions.
    This means that you have savings of less than 16,000 and, if you have a partner or civil partner, they work for less than 24 hours a week on average. There is no limit on the amount of time you can claim income-based Employment and Support Allowance as long as you satisfy the entitlement conditions.

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/money...-how-much.aspx
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 07-21-2012 at 10:20 PM.