Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: medical assessment letter just after winning pip tribunal and support esa

medical assessment letter just after winning pip tribunal and support esa

Hello

Won pip tribunal (standard living/enhanced mobility, to 2 feb 2019) and support esa was just continued (letter dated 30 dec 2016) without even needing to do mandatory reconsideration request. They didn't contest pip tribunal win, so it is odd they are writing now about a medical assessment; they've said it's in 3 weeks in Thornaby, and I will not manage it (I live in Middlesbrough, severely agoraphobic and mentally/physically ill). Not good at coping with speaking on the phone about saying unable to manage it, and know I cannot survive more; already more suicidal, and in no way have recovered from horrific 14 months about benefits, that I thought was over at the end of December.

Really not good local support where I live, and just can't comprehend the dwp deliberately writing now, ignoring clear feedback from the tribunal and such recent pip/esa decisions. Surely it can only be deliberately intended to distress and worse?

Is it possible this is an error letter, or them knowing I am unable to attend or cope further and trying to get me to be a 'no-show' so they can refuse benefits? If it's an error letter, am I better off writing straight to local mp? Really not sure what to do, plus I thought they'd just been made to be more considerate to those with severe agoraphobia/mental health issues/anxiety/trauma.

Thank you for any advice, Cat

Hi MountainWisp,
    Sorry to hear that you are going through all this, it seems like there could have been an error on their part. Could a friend/relative speak to them on the phone on your behalf?, you would only have to tell them that they have permission to speak on your behalf. I understand fully what you mean about the support services here. I am in Thornaby and know that citizens advice, welfare rights and Age concern are little help (only doing appeals) Can I ask where in Thornaby is your assessment at?

Hi Dianne and thank you for your message. It does seem really odd, but a relief to hear that you also think it may be an error. I can only agree with you about the lack of local support, and sorry you're dealing with that too.

Unfortunately I have nobody who can speak for me. The only option I can think of right now is to have to contact Cleveland Housing; caused my pip appeal letter to be late previously, and a lack of response about something else, so I was hoping there was another option, but they might be helpful if it's just a phone call. Difficult to speak, but if the error can be righted that would be great. The place in Thornaby is Thornaby Assessment Centre, 2nd Floor, Christine House, Sorbonne Close, Stockton.

im not sure what you mean but after i won my tribunal i recived a new assessment fom 3 weeks later they said they gad a back log.
    i only was on caily living allowance on high rate but few weeks after ending new for in,they said i was also entiltled to mobility at sanded rate.This shocked me as i had just fought for my care componment.
    I think its just pot luck if you get the right peason working on your form.
    Its got to be one of the worst stressfull things ever....

Thanks knowy2222 and it is very stressful indeed.

Called medical place and they said esa medical was requested 29 november. Said to call esa, when I said I'd already received award letter dated 30 december.

Called esa. She asked me if I had the letter, as there's nothing on the system. She continued to say must attend, despite winning pip tribunal and having breakdown there from which I've never recovered, or will lose benefits. She was saying they're separate benefits, and that I must get a gp letter for home visit (new gp, weren't nice at all when I tried to explain abuse by system and seek help, only receive prescription deliveries).

Seems odd they have nothing on the system about the 30 december letter. I thought support group letter was sent when you qualified and didn't need a medical. Why would put in the system about me having to have a medical, that comes through nearly 3 months later, then send out award letter but not stop the medical?

What does the ESA December 2016 letter say exactly?

Were you originally told that your ESA was due for reassessment? (ie. before December 2016)

Did you complete another form? If so, when?

Hello pmlindyloo and thank you for your message. I'd sent in a new esa form, after they sent one, around december 13th, and then got the esa december letter dated the 30th. This says they've looked at my claim and rates from december 23. The rates breakdown includes extra money due to support group (contribution based esa). Then there's a page that says 'what to do if you think this decision is wrong', about have a month to appeal against decision.

I'm sorry, I don't remember clearly about any reassessment dates information, but have been on support esa for a few years. All I can recall is that this letter and the previous one haven't said about time periods or assessment dates.

Sorry, may I please ask if people think the dwp have done something wrong here; the woman on the phone said they had no record of the letter I received at the end of the December, which was a full decision saying I am on Support ESA. Now I've been sent this medical appointment for 3 weeks time, and am really not sure that's right, plus truly not able to cope with it. Much appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainWisp View Post
    Sorry, may I please ask if people think the dwp have done something wrong here; the woman on the phone said they had no record of the letter I received at the end of the December, which was a full decision saying I am on Support ESA. Now I've been sent this medical appointment for 3 weeks time, and am really not sure that's right, plus truly not able to cope with it. Much appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    Looking at your dates I am wondering if the December 2016 letter was just an update on your previous award and nothing to do with awarding you support group again on a paper based assessment.

Am thinking that a decision to continue the support group must have been made very quickly if that is what it was - quite unusual.

Sorry to be a pain. but can you actually write out exactly what the letter says at the beginning and we might be able to work out whether it is a new award or just a letter about the rates that you are currently on. Hope that makes sense.

In the meantime get a letter from your doctor asking for a home visit as attending the assessment centre would have a detrimental effect on your health (or something like that) if that is what you could 'cope with'.

PIP and ESA are two separate benefits and your PIP award would not normally be used to make an assessment on your ESA award. (if only they were that sensible)

Hello Mountainwisp

I too wonder if the letter you received in December 2016 was the annual update on the rates they are paying for ESA. Unhelpfully this letter is as clear as mud and could and should be much clearer in its message. Even just a title saying annual update letter would tell us all we need to know and would lower anxiety levels.

I too received my updating letter a couple of weeks after you received yours.

I was reassessed for ESA last year and was again after much stress and anxiety thankfully kept in the support group. The letter I received to inform me, does not include how long before my next reassessment, they never do. So I telephoned the DWP and was told three years. Why they cannot put that on the form too, who knows.

As pmlindyloo says, try to get a letter from your GP stating you are unable to cope with attending an assessment centre, in the hope you can get moved to a home assessment.
    I didn't think I could manage my PIP assessment, I have both physical and mental health problems but I did just about cope. I won't lie and say it's easy, but our thoughts create monsters of all sorts - often much worse than the reality.

Good luck.