Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: medical assessment letter just after winning pip tribunal and support esa

Thanks so much pmlindyloo. I realise that it must look strange for such a quick decision, but that happened the previous time; mental and physical health and circumstances very extreme. This time, I'd quite recently (august) won PIP tribunal, so thought it was even more likely to have just gone through.

No problem about letter.
    It says:
    "YOUR CLAIM FOR EMPLOYMENT AND SUPPORT ALLOWANCE.
    A CHANGE IN THE EMPLOYMENT AND SUPPORT ALLOWANCE RATE PAYABLE.
    We have looked at your claim again following a recent change.
    From 23 December 2016 your ESA will be £112.05 a week."
    They go on to say about transitional, because moved from IB, and about how money paid, what to do if think decision is wrong and time limit of one month, then how they worked out amounts (including Support Group amount).

I don't know a gp. It's a new surgery, and, when I tried to explain things last year (had to give a few clear notes as is hard to speak), had a very bad response, so haven't been able to return. It helps me to now only receive prescription deliveries, which I'm very thankful for.
    Previous gp surgery messed up records so a lot of earlier history missing, and wrong/missing entries, too, which also doesn't help when trying to be understood. Unfortunately serious abuse by the system is a part of things, so, no matter how polite or clear I've been in trying to communicate facts previously to anyone, it is not well received or believed.

A GP is bound to ask why I do not have therapy etc, as he'll need to have an overview of health/circumstances in order to write a letter. I can say about breakdown at pip tribunal, factual list of health issues, but he'll want to know why isolation/no therapy or support (and that's where abuse by the system would have to be referred to).

The irony is that attempting any gp contact is very detrimental to my health, and, yes, I agree, if only they used the one assessment for both ... that would save us all from 2 rounds of this, and enable some space/time to not become more ill, for sure.

If it does turn out to be a routine esa assessment, I can't go to Thornaby, and have no support to go with me anywhere. Ended up with none for pip tribunal too, despite trying 4 places locally.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello Mountainwisp

I too wonder if the letter you received in December 2016 was the annual update on the rates they are paying for ESA. Unhelpfully this letter is as clear as mud and could and should be much clearer in its message. Even just a title saying annual update letter would tell us all we need to know and would lower anxiety levels.

I too received my updating letter a couple of weeks after you received yours.

I was reassessed for ESA last year and was again after much stress and anxiety thankfully kept in the support group. The letter I received to inform me, does not include how long before my next reassessment, they never do. So I telephoned the DWP and was told three years. Why they cannot put that on the form too, who knows.

As pmlindyloo says, try to get a letter from your GP stating you are unable to cope with attending an assessment centre, in the hope you can get moved to a home assessment.
    I didn't think I could manage my PIP assessment, I have both physical and mental health problems but I did just about cope. I won't lie and say it's easy, but our thoughts create monsters of all sorts - often much worse than the reality.

Good luck.
    Thanks buble48, and, yes, it sounds like a decision having been made, as they include about how to appeal and the time limit. The pip increase letter is titled 'yearly update' and clear. ESA really should be clear on the form about when next assessment is due, absolutely.

Appreciate reassurance. Really am entirely without support, very severe health issues, and had a full breakdown at pip tribunal. Never recovered from that, and only seek to keep off the radar in order to try to get my head above water. Not confident can access gp support.

Mountainwisp,

I'm sorry to say that that letter does not look like notification of a continuing ESA award.

It looks like just one of their standard letters sent when something in the rate your are being paid is changed (or stays the same) due to a change in legislation somewhere.
    (For example most people get one this time of year due to any benefit rate changes in April).

That would also explain why the woman on the phone could not find an award letter on your file; the letter you got is just a standard letter and not about your reassessment at all.
    It looks like just a coincidence that you got this letter while you were waiting for a reassessment.

Normally you are sent a different letter about an ESA award after an assessment, or re-assessment.
    This is called an ESA72 form and looks like this:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...%20S097102.pdf
    Page 2 of the ESA72 has a box that they tick next to a clear explanation of which group you have been awarded.

So I'm afraid that it does look like the appointment for an assessment is correct.

As far as the reassessment itself;
    I understand what you are saying about your difficulties attending, (I assume you mentioned these on your ESA50).

Unfortunately though unless you can provide a letter from your GP, or another specialst, saying that you are unable to attend for medical reasons then you will be expected to attend the assessment.

You can cancel and re-arrange it once without giving a reason, which could give you some extra time to get help.
    (Ring them about a week before the appointment date and just say that you can't make that date).

You can only do this once.
    It is possible to cancel more than once if you can show 'good reason', but showing 'good reason' usually means a doctors note or similar.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-17-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Mountainwisp,

I'm sorry to say that that letter does not look like notification of a continuing ESA award.

It looks like just one of their standard letters sent when something in the rate your are being paid is changed (or stays the same) due to a change in legislation somewhere.
    (For example most people get one this time of year due to any benefit rate changes in April).

That would also explain why the woman on the phone could not find an award letter on your file; the letter you got is just a standard letter and not about your reassessment at all.
    It looks like just a coincidence that you got this letter while you were waiting for a reassessment.

Normally you are sent a different letter about an ESA award after an assessment, or re-assessment.
    This is called an ESA72 form and looks like this:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...%20S097102.pdf
    Page 2 of the ESA72 has a box that they tick next to a clear explanation of which group you have been awarded.

So I'm afraid that it does look like the appointment for an assessment is correct.

As far as the reassessment itself;
    I understand what you are saying about your difficulties attending, (I assume you mentioned these on your ESA50).

Unfortunately though unless you can provide a letter from your GP, or another specialst, saying that you are unable to attend for medical reasons then you will be expected to attend the assessment.

You can cancel and re-arrange it once without giving a reason, which could give you some extra time to get help.
    (Ring them about a week before the appointment date and just say that you can't make that date).

You can only do this once.
    It is possible to cancel more than once if you can show 'good reason', but showing 'good reason' usually means a doctors note or similar.
    Thank you nukecad; appreciate, and getting a clear bigger picture is at least more steps over with. One thing I am puzzled by is how the esa set up medicals before sending out forms and getting those back; do they give no option of paper-based assessments now? It must be more payment per medical, if they force travel or home visit regardless of what form says.

Thank you also for explaining about the post-award form, for the link, and I am very glad to hear that form is clear about things.

Yes, I didn't hold back from explaining difficulties, and even said how episode-triggering it was to be writing out things again/unable cope/suicidal, about trauma, the pip tribunal win (asking them to please refer to that), everything. Unfortunately I have no person who can write a letter; I'd provided clear previous letters repeatedly (previous good gp, and hospital consultant and trauma nurse), from before system abuse and medical records messed up.

It is good to know that I can cancel and re-arrange once, and will have 2 weeks before needing to do that. I'd been avoiding looking up the local CAB, after not finding them helpful on a few occasions years ago, but I've just seen they have revamped things and now have an email contact (I had not thought they were an option, with me not being able to go out, also), so it might be worth emailing them to ask if they can be with me. A difficult step, after how other local places have been, but at least I have some time to psyche up.

Otherwise, I know I'll break down further and that will be seen. I imagine the dwp take every medical to tribunal. I won the pip tribunal with absolutely no support, or new evidence, and will never forget the kindness and fairness shown that day. I'm thankful also to yourself and the other people on this thread who have taken the time to respond and advise. Those things will help me through. Knowing how horrendous all this is for everyone, I have only good wishes.