Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DWP Medical Living Abroad

DWP Medical Living Abroad

I live in Spain and have been in receipt of contributions based ESA (support group) for 5 years.After sending in my last medical assessment form filled in by my oncologist in January I had heard nothing so called the DWP office in Newcastle.They informed me that in due course I will receive an appointment for a medical with a DWP appointed doctor here in Spain.Does anyone know what would happen if he passes me fit to seek work?.JSA isn't payable here and if I had to return to the UK owning my own property here would make me ineligible for Pension Credit (I'll be 64 in May so old enough to apply) also I could not apply for housing benefit for the same reason.I have trawled the internet for information,but can find nothing pertinent to ex-pat claimants.

Sorry I don't have a clue.

I know that there are different forms and guidance for assessnents abroad, and it's all done through Newcastle.

Other benefits thought I am not sure about.
    You may be better trying on expat forums, or even Facache expat groups?

I can see that JSA would not be payable abroad, your not exactly 'available' to go for job interviews.

I would guess that if found fit for work then you would not be able to claim other benefits apart from non means tested ones, and they will also have special rules if you are living abroad.

If you came back to live in the UK then your main home would be disregarded for benefit purposes.
    But if you also own property in Spain that would be counted as capital.

Of course if found ffw you can ask for MR and appeal but would have to come here for any tribunal, it's a UK court.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-17-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Sorry I don't have a clue.

I know that there are different forms and guidance for assessnents abroad, and it's all done through Newcastle.

Other benefits thought I am not sure about.
    You may be better trying on expat forums, or even Facache expat groups?

I can see that JSA would not be payable abroad, your not exactly 'available' to go for job interviews.

I would guess that if found fit for work then you would not be able to claim other benefits apart from non means tested ones, and they will also have special rules if you are living abroad.

If you came back to live in the UK then your main home would be disregarded for benefit purposes.
    But if you also own property in Spain that would be counted as capital.

Of course if found ffw you can ask for MR and appeal but would have to come here for any tribunal, it's a UK court.
    The only property I own is in Spain,so even though I am old enough to get Guaranteed Pension Credit if/when I'm forced to come back (or stay here and starve) its value will mean I wont get PC or housing benefit so could very well find myself sleeping rough for a year until I get my State Pension.

Quote Originally Posted by Davids View Post
    The only property I own is in Spain,so even though I am old enough to get Guaranteed Pension Credit if/when I'm forced to come back (or stay here and starve) its value will mean I wont get PC or housing benefit so could very well find myself sleeping rough for a year until I get my State Pension.
    Are you also sure about the age for receiving your pension as the DWP very unkindly changed that as well?

If you also want to see the forms and assessor guidance for overseas ESA WCAs you can find them attached at the bottom of this FOI request, click on the bit that says "Show all attachments".
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...seas_claimants

There are 2 lots there in different responses, I'm not sure how up to date they are but it should give you some idea of what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornwall View Post
    Are you also sure about the age for receiving your pension as the DWP very unkindly changed that as well?
    I applied for a pension forecast last August and was sent a date and amount,but as you say,things can change!

I'll keep updating the thread just in case someone else finds themselves in a similar position.I called the DWP Newcastle office on Monday to ask when the medical might be arranged for,as I was planning to visit family in May/June.The lady I spoke with told me it can take anything up to six months to get the appointment.So when I asked if it was normal to be sent for a medical possibly 4 months before the date when I was told I could start the paperwork for my State Pension,she told me she'll speak with a "decision maker" and I should call her back Thursday.Fingers crossed common sense prevails!

Hi Davids.

yes its normal. As I was sent for medical six weeks before retirement and had result 12 days after that .

I think they do it to manipulate the numbers being found fit for work... IE looks good on paper.

Just to do a final update so that if anyone living in the EU encounters a similar situation.I was lucky enough to call the DWP and spoke with someone who knows their job.I explained my situation,and they told me it sometimes can take 6 months to set up an appointment for a medical,meaning I could have been attending one just a few months before making my application for State Pension.They told me they would consult a "decision maker" and to call back a few days later.I was informed I would not be required to take another medical and my file would be adjusted to reflect this and I wouldn't be asked to complete any more medical questionnaires before my State Pension date.

Thanks for the update Davids,

It's always good to know these things, even though I suspect it is not a situation that will happen often.
    But it's the things that don't happen often that can be the trickiest to work out.

It makes sense not to spend money on assessments, especially abroad, when the outcome is only going to apply for a couple of months anyway.
    The DWP showing some sense, whatever next?