Thread: Letter from MP with DWP letter inside finally receieved

Letter from MP with DWP letter inside finally receieved

I wroyte to my MP regarding the Motability component of PIP and the concern I had that it would make a lot of disabled prisoners in their own homes on 1st feb.

The letter is from the DWP. Not sure if its a good sign or a bad one (Or even if I have put myself up to be one of the first to be tested lol)

Three page letter and a lot of it the usual guff, but a couple of interesting lines.

"The assesment for PIP will look at how well people are able to participate in society by assessing their ability to carry out a series of key everyday activities. Priority will be awarded in the benefit based on how well people can carry these out and the degree to which they need help from other people or to use aids and appliances.

The proposed assesment criteria weightings and entitlement thresholds for the Mobility component
    (I have never applied for the rest of DLA and the letter actually is an individual based response, go figure!)
    are intended to reflect and differentiate between the barriers and extra costs faced by individuals who require extra support to get around. They ensure that individuals whose ability to get around is severely impacted by impairments affects either physical or non-physical ability can receive the componenet at the enhanced rate.

Individuals who need to use aids and appliances to move short distances can recieve the standard rate, whilst those who need a wheelchair or similar device to do so will receive the enhanced rate.

In his letter Mr ..... (Me) referes to the length of time it would take him to travel to
    (mistake on the letter as to town centre as opposed to what they out down which was my address!)
    when compared to another person and the potential damage he may cause himself
    (I have Charcot foot and long walks causes damage to the bones which are already brittle)

It may be helpful to explain that the individuals ability to carry out the activities detailed within the assessment will include consideration of whether they can do so safely, reliably, repeatedly in a timeley manner

Where individuals are unable to complete activities because of issues such as pain and fatique or where it would take them a long time to do so, it will be considered that the individual cannot carry out the activity at all, Therefore if an individual is not able to move less than 50 meters without severe pain, they might be assesed as needing a wheelchair to be able to do so-even if they do not actually use one-and as such be entitled to the enhanced rate of teh Mobility componenet. This would of course depend on a detailed assesment of their circumstances."

Then in another paragraph:-

"Finally in relation to Motability, I would like to reassure both yourself (My MP) and Mr .. that we are determined to ensure that existing arrangements for passported benefits and schemes are maintained within PIP whereever possible.

We are currently working with Motability to ensure that PIP and the rate of the mobility componenet that should apply will support the scheme, but again, no final decsision has yet been made"

I should also have said, it was signed by the evil queen herself, Maria Miller

"Where individuals are unable to complete activities because of issues such as pain and fatique or where it would take them a long time to do so, it will be considered that the individual cannot carry out the activity at all.

Therefore if an individual is not able to move less than 50 meters without severe pain, they might be assessed as needing a wheelchair to be able to do so-even if they do not actually use one-and as such be entitled to the enhanced rate of teh Mobility componenet. This would of course depend on a detailed assesment of their circumstances."
    That's the interesting point here, which should mean that all those who currently get HRM under the clause "not being able to walk more than 50m without severe discomfort or pain" will get Enhanced PIP.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-07/2015; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg (31.9 - 56.7mpg)
    07/2015-Present; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 22,761miles; avg 43.3mpg (34.4 - 59.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Yes, I noticed that too. It was an issue I have been concerned about with PIP, for myself & others who are in the grey area of disability where PIP is concerned. If this proves to be true, then it would mean a lot of us would relax.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen