Thread: Barking to Gospel Oak line

Barking to Gospel Oak Railway line

This is being electrified so is opportunity to travel on diesel powered trains before replacement with electric next year. Line closed weekends.

I used this line in the 1980's. It was a run down line with unreliable class 117 diesels operating a half hourly service. The intermediate stations were all unmanned and lacked any information about delays or cancellations. No PA system. It was a 3 minute walk to the nearest telephone box to let my wife know I would be late (no mobiles) and one would often hear a delayed train arriving! Thankfully its a 15 minute service now with shelters, arrivals boards, PA, shelters and an "emergency" phone. The new 4 car electric trains will help alleviate overcrowding but I am surprised TFL did not opt for the standard 5 car overground trains as I fear in a few years overcrowding at rush hour will be an issue again. Well worth taking a ride on this line. There is a well known American burger chain restaurant at Haringey Green Lanes station for those desirous of refreshment and a short stroll only.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    This is being electrified so is opportunity to travel on diesel powered trains before replacement with electric next year. Line closed weekends.
    Forgive my random reply but thought I'd share this: As someone who is mildly dyslexic and ASD I immediately interpreted this wrongly as "Dogs barking to gospel singers line" talk about taking things literally. Obviously I quickly figured out what you were talking about but I often have difficulties reading and interpreting headlines as they could be anything. Proof that a good sense of humour is always useful!!!
    Just call me Rasy

Quote Originally Posted by CrippledLassie View Post
    Forgive my random reply but thought I'd share this: As someone who is mildly dyslexic and ASD I immediately interpreted this wrongly as "Dogs barking to gospel singers line" talk about taking things literally. Obviously I quickly figured out what you were talking about but I often have difficulties reading and interpreting headlines as they could be anything. Proof that a good sense of humour is always useful!!!
    A good sense of humour is a useful attribute and, it seems, a necessity, when travelling on this line in days gone by.

This line is expected to close for a month, perhaps in August for remaining electrification work and to put right some problems where wrong equipment put in.

This line is expected to close for a month, perhaps in August for remaining electrification work and to put right some problems where wrong equipment put in.
    I think it may be worth looking here: https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/pl...works-calendar as they are doing works on that line at the moment, and that calendar gives an idea of when they are doing work on that line.

I know many who use this line who cannot wait for the new 4 carriage electric trains which will double capacity.

summer closures update

I know many who use this line who cannot wait for the new 4 carriage electric trains which will double capacity.
    Summer closures:

Closures passenger services

Working hours

Sunday 4 June

01:00 Sunday 4 June – 04:00 Monday 5 June

Sunday 11 June

01:00 Sunday 11 June – 04:00 Monday 12 June

Sunday 18 June

01:00 Sunday 18 June – 04:00 Monday 19 June

Sunday 25 June

01:00 Sunday 25 June – 04:00 Monday 26 June

Sunday 2 July

01:00 Sunday 2 July – 04:00 Monday 3 July

Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 July

01:00 Saturday 8 July – 04:00 Monday 10 July

Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 July

01:00 Saturday 15 July – 04:00 Monday 17 July

Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 July

01:00 Saturday 22 July – 04:00 Monday 24 July

Quote Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
    I think it may be worth looking here: https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/pl...works-calendar as they are doing works on that line at the moment, and that calendar gives an idea of when they are doing work on that line.
    Somewhat remiss of me not to post updates on this important rail electrification project. The line is currently closed and will re-open on Monday 23rd October. It will close again between 18th November 2017 and January 14th 2018. It should then re-open on Monday 15th January 2018 using the existing 2 car diesel trains whilst new 4 car electric trains are tested and final commissioning takes place with the trains due to enter service next spring. I predict the 4 car trains will soon become crowded at peak times and TFL may have to look at 5 car units.

The intermediate stations were all unmanned and lacked any information about delays or cancellations.