Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work capability assessment.

Work capability assessment.

Hi, I received a letter recently to fill in about my capability to work and I'm so confused to how this all works. I have long term mental health problems like asperges and I was promised that I'd be in the support group indefinitely cause I can't work and I'd be too dangerous to work. So why now do I have to go for a medical to deem if I am able to work? This is all so stressful to me cause I don't know whether I'll be able to keep my benefits or whether I'd be having to get a job which all my doctors and psychologists warned me not to do. How can the government even think I'd be ready for that with all the problems I have and the aggression I'm prone to on a day to day basis. It seems to me that if I do get my benefits stopped that those who really need it don't get it and all the liers and cheats do. And this would be so wrong. As it is I'm still waiting for my pip claim to be sorted out cause of being declined for that too. Does ones mental health not even mean anything these days, it certainly seems so when they only care about the physical attributes of your illness and not how your mental health affects you.

All ESA awards are 'ongoing' (indefinite) that means that there is no end date for an ESA award.
    (Unlike PIP which does have an end date).

However everyone on ESA has to be reassessed every so often to make sure that they continue to qualify for it.

Sometmes they will do this just from the information they already have, sometimes they want you to fill in a new questionaire, sometimes they ask to see you again.

Your ESA will not stop unless you are found to be fit-for-work, (which they are not allowed to do unless you have had a new face to face assessment).
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Everybody whether they have physical or mental health problems gets a reassessment of their benefits, so its not just you who has had one of these forms.

and whilst you may be upset about this I don't think you should be making a distinction between physical and mental claimants.

What would be the timeframe for the assessment to the decision? My friend seems to think they want to do it all now and have the decision before the 4th April. Surely that can't be right cab it when I only got the form a week ago and have to send it back once I have the evidence from my doctor. By time I've sorted that it would be a week till the 4th. Also can they just stop my benefit straight away if I'm found to be able to work or will I still get ESA just not in the support group?

Slipmaster my point was that just looking at the form it seems more aimed at physical rather than mental. I actually had to clarify with the Dwp what exactly I could put in the form cause most of the questiobs aren't specifically about the problems I have. Such as if I can sense a hazard, which mostly I can see if something us a hazard but if I am able to react properly to it is a different story and one that isn't applicable cause I can see it's a hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Atbsphotography View Post
    Slipmaster my point was that just looking at the form it seems more aimed at physical rather than mental. I actually had to clarify with the Dwp what exactly I could put in the form cause most of the questiobs aren't specifically about the problems I have. Such as if I can sense a hazard, which mostly I can see if something us a hazard but if I am able to react properly to it is a different story and one that isn't applicable cause I can see it's a hazard.
    I understood clearly what you meant - and I agree with every word you said - as of the 16 March this will become even more categorically clearer, mental health is out the window.

On what basis were you awarded the support group previously? Can you have a look at your ESa award letter and find out.

If you do not meet the descriptors and/or cannot get the sufficient number of points then you can be placed into a group under regulation 29 and/or 35.

Have a read of this which explains those regulations and look and see if this is how you were placed into the support group.

https://healthunlocked.com/fibromyal...ulations-29-35

Atbsphography,

Forget that 4th April thing.

There are changes to ESA ftom the start of April
    BUT
    The changes only apply to brand new claims.
    Yours is not a new claim so the changes do not apply.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

So for now I should still recieve the benefit I'm currently entitled to and they can't stop it on the 4th. Also after the assessment would they either put me in work related or support group depending on the score I get or just tell me I have to apply for another benefit or get a job?

Hi Atbsphotography,

Yes you will carry on receiving the benefit you are currently entitled to. After your assessment you will be notified as to whether you carry on being in the support group, WRAG, or FfW.

Don't forget if for some reason you do not get placed in the support group again, you can ask for a MR. If that fails a tribunal.

Nina
    Last edited by nina_simone; 03-11-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling