Thread: What happens after your 6 months extended motability lease ends and no PIP decision?

What happens after your 6 months extended motability lease ends and no PIP decision?

Hello, read this in another forum: "In March 2014, Atos and Capita began warning claimants that they might have to wait up to 6 months before they got a medical appointment – let alone a decision."

Now my car was supposed to be changed in late Feb 2017 but Motability have extended that for another 6 months. In Nov 2016, got a letter to apply for PIP and hence could not order another car. Sent off forms in Jan 2017 and still not heard for even a F2F appointment. So if I don't hear before the 6month deadline or if I have a F2f but no decision before the 6 month extended deadline by Motability, could I still extend the lease contract further as I still would be paid the allowance until a decision is made?

Anyone else been in similar situation?

Thank you

tk19

Phone up Motability and ask for another 6 month extension.

I'm sure they would let you do this.

My Dad applied for pip in Late October 2016 he had assessment on Jan 23rd and had decision within 3 weeks. if you are waiting more than 6 months from Feb when you applied late last year then something will have gone very wrong. as far as i know its approx 16 weeks at the moment, although that could vary by area. Motability are one of the best charities on this earth I'm sure they will help you further if you need it. . Makes me so angry that people like you are suffering, my dad was so worried he stopped sleeping and eating at the thought of losing his car. Both he and myself wish you the best with your claim.

Thanks Iomex - I called Motability this afternoon and they said if no decision is reached by the end of the 6 month extension to the lease, so long as you are still in receipt of the allowance, they will extend the lease on a case-by-case basis. Basically they will decide what extension to give based upon how far the process has advanced. Motability said if a decision is 'imminent', the extension could be given on a month-by-month basis.

This is good news!

Tk19
    Last edited by tk19; 03-13-2017 at 03:29 PM.

I’ve got to put in an order to re-new my Motability car in 6 months for November switch over so this raises an interesting point.

As we get closer to the date when everyone will switch from DLA to PIP will there be a mass backlog of extended Motability contracts where we know were switching to PIP but have not had the decision from DWP.

I’m on indefinite DLA and had a F2F last April and was told there a bit behind with the decisions so it will be anything from 6 to 8 week before I get that decision.

A year next month and still not heard a word but I’m in no hurry but with the car renewal coming up I might be on a extension too not that I’m worried about that either because I paid few hundred pounds for extra’s on my current car that I can’t afford on the next one but it’s the indecisions I hate.

Hi all I had a mobility car up until 10 October when my deadline was up as still waiting on appeal, eight years of Mobility. Contacted DWP last November re change from DLA to PIP, assessment was 28 February. We have now bought a second hand car with a lot of worry entailed as couldn’t afford nothing ‘posh’. Wish I had known about all this, might have saved a lot of sleepless nights. By the way that is the second time in that eight years that I had lost my car, both times due to ‘Atos’ and as not able to use buses, plus bus stop is a long way away, have a lot of appointments to attend, we had no choice but to buy a ten year old car!

When I returned my PIP application via registered post I got a text message from the DWP 2 days later saying they had received it.

If you weren't told that they received your application I'd assume that it's lost by now. You need to get feedback from DWP. They'll just need your full name and National Insurance number to track down if your case is progressing.

You'll still get paid DLA until a decision is made about PIP. Motability are very flexible and won't be in any hurry to have their lease hire agreement ended. When my 3 year lease expired I extended the lease another two years without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tk19 View Post
    Hello, read this in another forum: "In March 2014, Atos and Capita began warning claimants that they might have to wait up to 6 months before they got a medical appointment – let alone a decision."

Now my car was supposed to be changed in late Feb 2017 but Motability have extended that for another 6 months. In Nov 2016, got a letter to apply for PIP and hence could not order another car. Sent off forms in Jan 2017 and still not heard for even a F2F appointment. So if I don't hear before the 6month deadline or if I have a F2f but no decision before the 6 month extended deadline by Motability, could I still extend the lease contract further as I still would be paid the allowance until a decision is made?

Anyone else been in similar situation?

Thank you

tk19
    This is taking a long time. Many say schedule is 1 month to return PIP forms, 3-4 months for F2f, 1 month for decision and if bad news 1 more month of DLA, 6-7 months in total. On top of this Motability allow you to keep the car 2 more months or 6 if you forego £1500 of the transitional payment. So it could be 8 months after PIP forms arrive to returning car or over a year. I think in your case it could be 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelob View Post
    Hi all I had a mobility car up until 10 October when my deadline was up as still waiting on appeal, eight years of Mobility. Contacted DWP last November re change from DLA to PIP, assessment was 28 February. We have now bought a second hand car with a lot of worry entailed as couldn’t afford nothing ‘posh’. Wish I had known about all this, might have saved a lot of sleepless nights. By the way that is the second time in that eight years that I had lost my car, both times due to ‘Atos’ and as not able to use buses, plus bus stop is a long way away, have a lot of appointments to attend, we had no choice but to buy a ten year old car!
    Update.
    Have had my 10 year old car one month and I am already waiting on a call from the garage re a couple of things wrong, thank goodness I got 2years warranty, peace of mind.