Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying Again - PIP for Hearing Impaired?

Trying Again - PIP for Hearing Impaired?

Hi, I'm back again. I have just filled in the forms again for my husband who is hearing impaired, also has asthma, IBS and dyspraxia.

Last year he got 6 points - and all on the unsubstantiated (never had a formal diagnosis) dyspraxia. Nothing on the hearing impairment which is his major problem. The Tribunal was nightmarish. Whilst we waited, prisoners in handcuffs dragged past us inches away. We were made to feel like criminals. In the Tribunal, they tied him in knots. And then told him they were not changing the decision.

He was so upset by it all it's only now he can face reapplying. To save him the stress, I have done the forms (did my son's forms previously and he got Enhanced and Enhanced, withno face to face and no need for MR or appeal - for a long time I worked for a charity helping people fill in DLA forms). The evidence that got my son Enhanced? A GP scribbled 5 words on a piece of paper. His diagnosis. They said it was ample evidence!

This time husband has submitted more evidence than last year. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has managed to get PIP at any level, for hearing impairment? (Or not).

I posted here a year ago to ask if anyone had any experience and it seemed not. There is almost zero info online.

Hi FancyNancy, Since you lasted a year ago, there has been a few deaf/hard of hearing PIP cases that have been allowed, due to new caselaw.

To give you a little background, in the search section above insert 'New to benefits, unsure if qualify for ESA & PIP' and read from page 4-post 35, as this touches upon subject you're seeking.

Also (copied a post for ease):
    Hi, whilst looking up some information of PIP and deaf/hard of hearing applicants I came across the following, which maybe of assistance, from the 'benefitsandwork' website. The following post is relatively new and was posted approx 6 weeks ago:

'TOPIC: DLA to PIP for hearing impaired
    Hi, my daughter is profoundly deaf (since birth) and had always received the midrate care and low rate mobility component under DLA. Having heard that many others hearing impaired were receiving insufficient point under the PIP transfer criteria I wasn't holding out much hope when our turn came.
    However I followed your PIP guidance PLUS this recent upper court case , CPIP_2559_2015-UKUT_160_AAC_2016.pdf , which appeared to contradict ATO assessors who were only awarding points for either activity 7 OR activity 9, rarely if ever for both, so deaf peoples communication difficulties were not being recognised as a disability under PIP.
    I included the court case in my evidence and today received the brown envelope which awards us the standard rate PIP!
    It is less than the DLA award (thinking of appealing) but I view it as a recognition that deafness is a genuine disability in the same way as other more "visible" disabilities.'

There are more replies and comments to the above initial post, and these can be found by 'googling' the topic title as above (if I knew how to add link, I would.) Maybe somebody could find this and add link for the assistance of other PIP applicants in similar predicament!'

As mentioned there are further replies on the above post from 'Benefits&work', and (hoping link works!) Nukecad kind enough to copy and paste the actual link direct to that post (hope it turned blue)

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/fo...d=10&id=112553.

Hope this helps.

I'm currently awaiting tribunal my biggest difficulty is hearing loss I have severe bilateral hearing loss use double hearing aids although even with hearing aid my left ear does not pick up speech. I'm ok usually one2one my biggest problem is in groups (which includes work meetings and social activities) I have only received 2pts for hearing aids I felt I should have got 4pts as I provided evidence of communication support from my open university studies also this evidence explained I needed prompted to indicate who was speaking therefore I felt 2pts for engaging with other people. That would give me 6pts for hearing loss, I also have other issues. My other difficulty is that recurrent ear infections mean I am limited in wearing my right aid without which I hear no speech at all. Will let you know how I get on!

Does your husband use hearing aids? He must use 2 to get the 2pts if you only use one and hearing is normal in other ear you get 0 according to the pip guide. If he doesn't use aids why not? You will need medical evidence to say why not.

Quote Originally Posted by oimum View Post
    Does your husband use hearing aids? He must use 2 to get the 2pts if you only use one and hearing is normal in other ear you get 0 according to the pip guide. If he doesn't use aids why not? You will need medical evidence to say why not.
    Thanks for the useful replies and I will read the forum bits Spencer pointed out - thanks so much.

Oimum, he only has a hearing aid in one ear but his hearing is not great in the other. In addition he got over £2000 of equipment from Capita's Access To Work so he can do his job. I'm not sure at which point he'd need 2, but with just one he struggles. Interesting that you mention he has to have 2, because that wasn't mentioned to him at all, at the tribunal. They were only interested in his % hearing loss (but they hadn't troubled his audiologist for a report and he couldn't recall the precise figures). This time we sent the initial form with in depth reports from GP and audiologist. He has other problems but the hearing loss affects him the most.

Sorry for delay in reply fancynancy. The pip guide says will not score pts if only using one aid and other ear has normal hearing, so doesn't apply to your hubby many people only use one aid i only got two due to ear infections, the plan was to alternate use of my aids but hearing loss too severe in left ear to benefit from hearing aid, it only picks up background noise not speech.

as the title suggest's (pip guide) its only a guide and not the law, unlike the descriptor which is the law and it says =

b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to speak or hear.2 points.

the fact that you have to use an aid should be all thats needed for the 2 points not 2 aids.
    Last edited by slipmaster; 03-20-2017 at 10:38 PM.

hi when i first got accessed for pip i had one hearing aid, award 2 points being reviewed again last year now have two hearing aid still got 2 points . one or two you will get 2 points regards palmer

As a lot of people buy their own hearing aids it's important you are assessed through NHS to prove you have a clinical need. (You could still choose to buy a private aid)They can argue you don't really NEED a hearing aid. On the NHS you are less likely to receive a hearing aid if hearing is normal in the other ear ( I'm in N.Ireland so policy may vary)

hi you are right oimum the aids need to be done and assessed through NHS to prove you have a clinical need. mine are from audiology dept, university hospital durham regards