Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying Again - PIP for Hearing Impaired?

Yes, my husband's aid comes from our local NHS hospital. I've sent them a note and a load of audiology chart print outs as well, and I did notice the audiologist wrote the word "severe" somewhere on there. But he only has a hearing aid on one side. They knew it was via the NHS the first time and still turned him down.

Wishing you good luck Fancynancy still waiting for my appeal will let you know outcome

Thanks, oimum. Will be very interested to hear the outcome. Good luck!

i work, teach and consider my lack of hearing a nuisance primarily rather than a disability, I think i described but didn't tick a box on the form

I said all of this in the assessment, just checked and 8 points of the daily living award was for communicating (being deaf is a minor part of my disabilities)

I stopped wearing hearing aids years ago as no hearing to amplify

Hi fredaNotspam, do you use sign language? Are you profoundly deaf? I'm assuming you are and use BSL to be awarded 8pts. I would never expect to get 8pts as I can hear with aids although lip read to a large extent.

totally deaf, I don't sign, I lip read

That's cool, am impressed, I lip read to a certain extent but do still rely on hearing aids, didn't think it would be possible to communicate with just lip reading. PS lipreading ' is not an acceptable form of communication' according to pip guidelines

Yes, I can see in a way it might be easier if he was entirely deaf. He works in a very noisy environment (TA but not in a standard classroom setting - at a place where kids go for school trips so they're always excited, noisy and usually the teachers think of it as a 'day out' so don't control the noise levels). He only lost his hearing in his 40s so can't lipread or do BSL at all and truthfully, probably never will, now. I'm equally hearing impaired and don't bother with a hearing aid because I have the same genetic condition my dad had and he hated aids - always said it amplified everything to the point he could hear nothing so his lived in a drawer. I was offered one and refused it 20 years ago). Husband is now more hearing impaired than me, though, which is how I know he's bad.

Freda, TBH, were I you I'd have claimed for it, whatever your own opinions if, by their (admittedly stupid) criteria, you might qualify for a single extra penny.

I started losing my hearing in my 20s, and also adapted to it to the point I don't feel it is massively difficult. But my husband, losing his totally unexpectedly, much later in life - it has hit him hard. He does struggle. He can only still do his job because Access To Work came out, assessed him, and gave him extra equipment. And so maybe for people who lose their hearing later in life, it is much harder. I wouldn't deny his disability, as he feels it.

I don't particularly lip read and certainly can't sign. I work alone, from home, so my hearing is not relevant.