Thread: Neuropathy & Acupunture

Neuropathy & Acupunture

I have several joint and nerve damage problems but the neuropathy in my neck and upper spine is the worst. I am on top dose of gabapentin 12 x 300mg daily and 30mg amitriptylin, I have been on this dosage a while and as I am still having problems I am waiting an appt for the pain clinic. I have discussed acupunture with my GP and she agreed it was worth a try until I got to the pain clinic

I have had my first acupuncture treatment today and am keeping a note as to whether symptoms have changed until my next appt next Monday. Has anyone else tried acupuncture for neuropathy and if so how many treatments did you have and more importantly did it work

Thanks

I've had numerous acupuncture sessions through the pain clinic, the usual referral in my area is once a week for 4 weeks, yes it does help for my neuropathy but because you need to be referred again and the waiting list is so long you don't always get the best benefit. Shame really but that's all they can do with resources. Are you paying or are you referred?

Acupuncture can even help treat common cold and stomach viruses. Don't go in on an empty stomach, the needles are much thinner than hypodermic needles. Good thing abouth the acupuncturists is that they don't reuse pins.

Remember pain is all in the mind. Think pain and you'll feel it.

I have neuropathic pain in my lumber region 24/7.

I was prescribed Gabapentin but only use it occasionally.

I've used Zapain drugs - they cause constipation.

I've had 'traction' on my spine. You tend to feel good afterwards but just for a few days

Acupuncture - may work for some. They couldn't find my meridians in my left arm - so the treatment couldn't begin

I underwent an epidural last week. A 20 minute procedure. It's where the surgeon puts a need in and up your spinal cord then they release pain killers higher up into your Lumber region. I survived. It has worked and the pain has decreased - especially when getting out of bed!

TENS machines are a great help apparently so might be worth considering.