Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My PIP Journey

My PIP Journey

I think they are trying to scare me off.

I have an appointment for PIP in a week and a half. The letter says if I am not available without good cause my claim will be disallowed. I thought they had to give you at least 14 days notice? Letter was written on Thursday freakily!

Atos person due between 12 and 2pm.

I don't think I will have anyone else here except a very, very barky dog! OH can't take him to work and he will just sit barking and howling in the kitchen.

Nothing I can do about that except let Atos know there will be a dog on the premises.

I hope my money comes through as I want to purchase the tape recorders.

Any advice great fully received.

Also any PIP claimants who drive; do they accept that sometimes you can drive and sometimes not? I don't use my car often only if I can get to Dr or physio with a car park on site. I have been honest that this disability varies but I am sure they will try to twist it all.

That should have read not allowed to cancel without good cause.

They only have to give 7 days notice
    Home assessment can be to your advantage as you are on familiar territory. Beware though, you are used to managing at home. The assessment is mainly an observation, the assessor will watch every little thing you do, even things that seem irrelevant. They are like any other visitor, they cannot look around your home without permission. they will watch how you walk when you open the door, how you give them your ID, anything you pick up, how you react with your "barky" dog. You can decline any physical test, if it willl cause you severe distress or pain but you must give your reason. Beware of the pinch and power grip test, many assumptions can be made from this. Normal power grip can mean that you can lift saucpans, dress yourself, wash your self etc. Don't make any special effort, keep to your normal routine re medication. You don't need to impress the HCP, if you don't want to keep eye contact, don't. Get rid of your coping mechanisms for the duration of the assessment. Just be yourself, warts and all.

Hoping you get a good outcome, you deserve it

Thank you.

What is the pinch test?

With regards washing and stuff; when you are 29 stones washing and dressing alone is extremely diffucult on good days. When you can't stand on bad days it's impossible.

brightonbelle
    "Also any PIP claimants who drive; do they accept that sometimes you can drive and sometimes not? I don't use my car often only if I can get to Dr or physio with a car park on site. I have been honest that this disability varies but I am sure they will try to twist it all."

I drive and get PIP. At the time of the first claim I was working. Driving in itself isn't a problem as long as it supports and doesn't contradict stated limitations.

So for me and my mobility issues, it supported my limitations in not being able to reliably walk more than 50mtrs as I always drove to and from work. I also had confirmation from occupational health that I qualified for onsite disabled parking. I explained how driving from A to B helped me get there, but still had issues to deal with at the other end (still have the same mobility issues regardless of where the car journey takes me).

Where it gets to be an issue is when someone says they have grip problems in cooking or dressing etc, the assessor can assume that this contradicts functional ability, if you can grip a steering wheel etc. You have to look at your limitations and see if there are any areas you need to explain why you have problems with one activity, but not another so that they cant assume.

The golden rule to answering any question of "can you do..." don't rush to say " yes, but only if....." they just hear yes.
    Say "No, only if I have/use......" hope that makes sense.

BB
    Last edited by brightonbelle; 03-25-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Thank you BB that is very useful. I have an injury to my hand which is what got me DLA. I can grip to a point but it's weight on it which is the problem. Lifting anything can result in it springing open and it causes great difficulty with my leg issues because I can't lean on it. Nerves and tendons were damaged during a fall.

I have gone to great lengths to explain that if I cannot weight bear on my foot I cannot stand to wash or cook, etc., or if I am doing these I am doing these and my foot goes I have to stop mid way.

I can do these thing but not always safely, repeatedly and within an appropriate time frame. Owe very it is my health issues which stop me carrying these activities out.

Sorry about this bloomin' phone changing words. Owe very should read as ultimately.

If you cannot get standard tape recorders, get a couple of digital Dictaphones, make sure they both record and if you can, the ones with built in speaker, so you can show they do work. Which ever route you go tape/digital, leave yours recording, prior to opening door and after F2F finished, then you have proof you told them about recording.

Then at the end, when they check their machine, you will have that recorded, to prove it has, then if later they claim otherwise you have proof, it does work. It does sound a bit over the top but having had many assessments over years, at times they will make strange comments on what happened.

However, to end, yes there may be the less truthful and manipulative HP's, there are some that are very good, do a good job, say it as it is, and you will give you the help you need.

As for the dog, if someone else usually walks it etc. don't forget to tell them.

All the best for the day. Mz

Account deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Thank you.

What is the pinch test?

With regards washing and stuff; when you are 29 stones washing and dressing alone is extremely diffucult on good days. When you can't stand on bad days it's impossible.
    Elysium, the "pinch" test is literally them touching the tips of your 10 fingers and asking you to squeeze - simple as that. The paramedic that asked me to do that had disgusting thick black dirt filled fingernails, more like claws, and he himself smelt, and was very grizzly, rough and dirty. I would prefer it if no one touches me at all - quickest way for me to go from 0-100 real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    I have an injury to my hand which is what got me DLA. I can grip to a point but it's weight on it which is the problem. Lifting anything can result in it springing open and it causes great difficulty with my leg issues because I can't lean on it. Nerves and tendons were damaged during a fall.

I have gone to great lengths to explain that if I cannot weight bear on my foot I cannot stand to wash or cook, etc., or if I am doing these I am doing these and my foot goes I have to stop mid way.

I can do these thing but not always safely, repeatedly and within an appropriate time frame. Owe very it is my health issues which stop me carrying these activities out.
    My advice is be careful with regards to the grip test and any questions about doing this task.
    Although I could do this test, my assessor said in her report that it showed I could prepare food, which the DM accepted! Also the DM said that lifting is not in the PIP criteria, so dismissed this in my MR. I pointed out in my appeal to the Tribunal that the grip test did not show dexerity (in other words how flexibile, so did not measure the fact that I do not have movement in my wrist and arm to perform these tasks), plus I also mentioned that I cannot do these tasks safely.
    If you cannot stand to prepare food, cook, or wash, then make sure this is reported.