Thread: day care staff refusing to give emergency medication.

day care staff refusing to give emergency medication.

Bit of a long story, but will try and condense down.
    have a son who has cerebral palsy,he does not walk also epilepsy plus learning difficulties.
    in a major seizure he has rectal diazepam,which he has been using for years he is 22 now,
    was asked the other week by day centre if he could go on buccle midazolam given orally, i said no as consultant doctor plus epilepsy liason nurse have said it would not work on my son as he salivates to much in a seizure, it would wash out.

went to pick him up yesterday was given his diazepam plus a letter stating care staff could not give him, as it is a intrusion.
    one staff member actually said it was a form of abuse.
    where do i go from here?
    have seen the manager this morning, have spoken to the head of learning disabilites, and they are saying he can not have emergency meds. they will dial 999 or phone me.
    any one have any suggestions of what to do next?

many thanks

As I understand it, if you are not medically trained then you can't give medication other than orally.

Therefore if they don't have any registered nurses, then they are correct in that they can't administer the medication you want.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 24,000 miles; avg 38.1mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Yes care staff consider it as abusive to administer drugs in that way, also personal care (washing private parts) can be seen as abusive. Pure madness to me, as long as care staff are trained and it is done with another person present, to cover themselves.
    Problem is disabled children/adults can be left wide open to abusers and generally will have several different carers attending them, if that child/adult is abused - everyone who has cared for them are under scrutiny.
    It's a sad world.
    Sea Queen

I would discuss this with someone such as your GP, his social worker. I am not sure if anything can be done. You may have to consider removing him & trying to get him into a place that does have someone trained to do this.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    As I understand it, if you are not medically trained then you can't give medication other than orally.

Therefore if they don't have any registered nurses, then they are correct in that they can't administer the medication you want.

I believe that to be so too Paul.

Hello
    sorry have not replied been a bit hectic.
    sorry did not explain correctly, they do have registered nurse on site.

that is why i could not understand it, anyway have had a call and they have changed their mind, the excuse i got was they should have used more commen sense? dont know what that means! many thanks
    for the replies.

OMG. WTF? Why is this sort of rubbish still happening? How many people do not challenge such stupidity? Glad you did challenge it & won. I know what that means, someone was stupid. I am angry at this as we are talking about a child's health, maybe even life.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Good to hear they have got their act together, I suspect someones butt may have been kicked!!!
    Sea Queen