Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: new motability car

Fuel farce: Official figures heavily overstate how many miles cars do to the gallon

The secret behind the mpg - the manufacturer's lie - now there's a surprise.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...ito=newsletter

davewhit
    top gear did an item on this... the run by the makers done on the flat hot day extra thin motor oil pre heated engine spare wheel removed no extras nearly empty tank

The fact that the published mileage never actually reflects common usage has been in the news over the last couple of days, I think there's been a 'Which' report or something similar.
    Regarding the comments on the Picasso, I had a 1.6 diesel egs VTR+ 2 cars ago and it averaged 43mpg over the 3 years (I kept a record). I would have liked to get another but couldn't afford it this time

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post

I would not expect to achieve the maufaturers claimed combined figure, BUT, I would expect to achieve something in excess of the Urban figure which I have done with my last 3 cars. My new car is stated to do 53.3 Urban and 62.8 overall and I will be upset if I go not achieve 55 mpg as an absolute minimum. My Golf's extra urban is 56mpg, a figure I have only achieved once on a 30 mile trip along A roads and quiet country lanes. Often on short trips, such as a visit to the pharmacy today, its reading 20.3mpg.
    If "what car" are acclerating quite hard, braking and leaving the car to idle I can quite see why they are arriving at such low figures.
    I would have to cahlenge them th explain why on their road test, they achieved 47mpg against "Which" real driving mpg test of 63mpg and why there is such a disparity on so many?

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post

You do know that this is Money is an offshoot of the Daily liar, sorry Daily mail? :-)

What cars tests were done in a completly different way to the EU official test process, so of course the figures whould have been different, the tests they have done are not repeatable unless the same two drivers do the exact same roads in the sam etime in the same weather conditiosn and same traffic density, totally inpossible to do, thats why there is a set laboratory test which can be replicated time after time.

Chalk and cheese...

Buy a copy of What Car? this month for a feature on "What your next car will really do to the gallon".

I subscribe so got mine yesterday, it gives you an insight into how What Car? will now be testing all their cars to show you "real-world" economy figures, and also how the government come up with the official figures.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 28,900 miles; avg 37.9mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Buy a copy of What Car? this month for a feature on "What your next car will really do to the gallon".

I subscribe so got mine yesterday, it gives you an insight into how What Car? will now be testing all their cars to show you "real-world" economy figures, and also how the government come up with the official figures.
    I just woner why there is such a disparity with what car? and Which when both are supposed to be real life figures?

i rang motability when my renault clio was doing 24mpg and they told me i could change the car even though i had had it only 6 months. they were very helpful

I'm prone to believe 'Which?` magazines results as they are unbiased and independent consumers organisation who will conduct all car tests under lab type conditions so all cars are put through the same tests under the same conditions.

just done another refill to brim after doing 90 miles round town . put 30 back into car on that rate now found out the cars doing approx 19 miles to gallon !!!!!