Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new motability car

Angry new motability car

i have just changed my motability car and got a meriva 1.4 100ps petrol. i have since done 140 miles in it but it has cost me £35 (6 gallons of petrol) which equals the car doing 25 mpg. i have used motorway as well as round town. is this unacceptable for this car. it hasnt got a trip computer on it so i cant verify its only getting 25 mpg except that petrol guage is flashing when i refill it. its costing more to run than i thought and i was going by what vauxhall claim it supposed to do. can any one advise what steps i can do ? thanks

Vauxhall claims the urban economy to be to 36mpg, but I'd expect nearer that amount for combined economy.

You can't really judge the overall economy after only 140 miles though, you need to do a few thousand before you can accurately determine economy figures.

It also depends how you're driving the car, I personally wouldn't take it above 2000rpm for the first 1000 miles.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 29,200 miles; avg 37.9mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

How long have you had the car? I know someone who has a 308 which is supposed to give 70.6mpg and they only get around 28 because all the trips are short, average less than 2 miles, so what mix of driving do you do? My Golf should do 47.1 combined but some days on a short (6 mile round trip) journey in a built up are I get 30. However 25 seems low for a Meriva, what are the official figures and is yours a manual or Auto?
    I would reccomend filling the tank up, note the mileage and when you next fill up you will have accurate mileage and fuel figures over a longer period. If its still a problem contact Vauxhall and ask their advice.

Quote Originally Posted by istanbul View Post
    i have just changed my motability car and got a meriva 1.4 100ps petrol. i have since done 140 miles in it but it has cost me £35 (6 gallons of petrol) which equals the car doing 25 mpg. i have used motorway as well as round town. is this unacceptable for this car. it hasnt got a trip computer on it so i cant verify its only getting 25 mpg except that petrol guage is flashing when i refill it. its costing more to run than i thought and i was going by what vauxhall claim it supposed to do. can any one advise what steps i can do ? thanks
    Hi Istanbul, you tend to find MPV's iuse more petrol. My Scenic does about 30mpg urban but then it's an automatic.

Things to take into account - diesel engines are more frugal. If you leave the air-con on to de-mist that gobbles fuel, urban start/stopping doesn't help. The way you drive - if you speed up and brake a lot then that accounts. Excessive stuff in the hatch can drain fuel.

The next motability car I get will be diesel doing about 60 mpg (in theory).

I doubt that Motability would take your car back because you aren't happy with the mpg.

i understand u need to run car in but 6 gallons for 140 miles!!! only had car 3 days tho . i was expecting about 30 round town and 40+ for motorway use. i have done approx 100 miles on motorway. what car guide suggests that it would cost £14 to do 100 miles. its a manual car. dealer said it a bit low for meriva and said they would look at it but i'm not sure they would do anything about it and say to me its ok. motability have said thats it too low for what it should do. i have even looked at honest johns website and the impression i get is that its a myth that you got to run a car in . i was thinking of going to blackpool in it which is 50 miles away but if its gonna cost me £25+ in fuel i can forget it the last car we had only cost us £12 there and back .

Have to say I have ben averaging 38mpg with my Golf, the Urban figure is 36.7. also recall we had a nissan which did 28mpg for a bit but after a few months went up to around 33.
    I have a dynamic fuel consumption read out and if you floor the throttle it goes down to under 10mpg, and if the air con is on when cruising I have seen it drop from 70 to less than 60mpg.
    Keep a record of your next tank, including type of driving, length of trips etc and if its still a major cocern go back to Vauxhall.
    Last edited by paul1234; 04-26-2012 at 04:32 PM.

its a plodders car (pardon my expression) . no air con been on it only driving sensibly. so why are motability saying on website fuel estimates for this vehicle it its wrong then?
    does this mean my car is doing less than 20 mpg round town and 25 mpg combined?
    Last edited by istanbul; 04-26-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: more to add

Have you seen if there is a meriva owners club forum?
    It may be worth asking there.
    I would not think that any manual should have such poor MPG, but then its is a fairly big car and a small BHP engine.
    But see if there is anything through Google ref "Meriva poor MPG"

just registered with meriva club to see what they say
    Last edited by istanbul; 04-26-2012 at 06:06 PM.

I didn't say anything about running in, I know that's a load of cr*p but the engine is still fresh and will do less mpg in the first few thousand miles.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 29,200 miles; avg 37.9mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs