Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hopeful spring

Glad you enjoy my whitterings:

I planted out the front window boxes yesterday. I gave each one a very good soaking for a couple of days beforehand for the best start for the plants.
    I planted red and purple Verbenas, scarlet Diascias, red trailing Lobelias, crimson Callibroachias, and bedding Petunias, and I will probably fill in with some Amaranthus Caudata too. The boxes are south facing and need a lot of watering.........
    Also planted out some mid sized containers, one with pink and yellow Nemesia, highly scented, and one with a mix of Surfinia, Lobelia, Petunia and verbena........A smaller bowl shaped pot with Diascia Lobelia and Calibroachia.
    More pots yet to do, more Courgettes, mini sized toms, full sized toms, Cosmos, Nemesia, Diascia,Bacopa, Amaranthus, Lobelia, Sunflowers, bedding petunia and more..................All waiting for a home.....and Sunflowers to plant in the ground somewhere.
    Finding it very hard to get a breath in this heat, easy to get too hot.
    Glad to say I got letters for Pulmonary rehab yesterday, and also an assessment date for portable oxygen.... I hope these help.

Pretty grim last week or so.......another medical appt on Thursday...........Got turned down for Pulmonary rehab last Friday.... not well enough. Hmmmmmm.
    On top of that, the rain and wind have been merciless. The 7 sunflowers I planted out just before it all began have but one survivor............No sign of the rest bar the odd shrivelled leaf...........The wind and rain flattened them then the slugs and snails, ants, earthworms, birds, voles..... I think everything had a go at them........I still have 4 or 5 seedlings left in the greenhouse, but they really should have been out by now. Have to gird my loins for that.
    The sweetpeas and others just seemed to be glad of the drink and found the wind rather bracing, they seem to be almost grinning with delight at it all...............So they do have a nice show, quite beautiful.
    Also noted just before the weather turned, the peony: It is "Bowl of Beauty" a Japanese cultivar, introduced to this country in 1949. very common, quite sturdy.......It had just put out it`s first full blooms.........Perfect cupped pink hands, holding a glowing pool of gold............and delighted bees...........a week later, the washed out loose petals like the tattered sails of a storm lashed yacht abandoned and folorn............Ah well, lots more blooms coming to take the place of those lost......
    It did save me watering pots bowls and baskets. one solace. All of which are looking well fed and refreshed, eager to show off their new finery, so that`s a heartening sight.
    And the honeysuckle: Planted a couple of years ago, alongside an archway I made, now climbing right over it and very lush and thick, with a million flecks of white gold and pink as the flowers begin...........The scent travels right across the garden...........and the bees upon it, delirious with choice of so many cups of nectar, lazily flitting from one to the next, they cannot get their fill............
    Of course the weeds love all this rain too............So as much as I can gather goes in for the chickens, and Rosie the rabbit....Will potter on and do what I can, whilst remembering to enjoy it too, each season is too fleeting just to be seen as a series of chores...........Carp Diem...

I just love your poetic descriptions, quite beautiful. My imagination is filled with tattered sails and bees buzzing around the blooms. Brilliant

Aww what a nice thing to say............Thank you..........
    Here is some Lonicera Japonica for you............

Its an evening that the honeysuckle has to itself,
    in unexpected corners,
    found still and half sunlit,
    pouring itself unexpected, scented, vibrant,
    silent.
    each moment its own saviour
    each instant new with ripplefurled leaf and petal thriving and striving, hearing what we cannot,
    still knowing what we have forgot
    Roots in earth, flower in time with the sky.
    Our forgotten time, that we just let slip right by......

My goodness, how lovely. You should get published. Absolutely wonderful Stree.

I think in poems now and again.............usually privately......my quiet appreciation of the world.

love sweetpea but find it hard to grow from seed no greenhouse .Have let my back garden grow a bit wild this year well havnt been well really but finding lots of interesting insects .Watched a bluebottle for ages it seemed to be blowing bubbles from what I presumed was a nostril (do flys have nostrils?) it would blow up slowly then deflated slowly this went on for around seven minutes then it flew off Lots of ladybirds they seem to like the underside of the nettles Talking of nettles think I might try making beer with them

I grow from seed usually in September, still warm enough for them to germinate, and the cold will not bother them once growing, in fact it helps because it slows growth and stops them getting leggy.....I grow in an unheated greenhouse. A simple cold frame would do the same job. Then they are usually fine to plant out February onwards. Frost is not a problem for sweetpeas, they just thaw and carry on.
    Nettle beer would be nice! Give it a try.............
    A sweetpea poem.......................

The sweetpeas today, had the ruby velvet of a great Aunts best dress,
    The blue of the Norfolk sky at dawn, the sweet pink of my Grandaughters cheek ,
    the deep cream of a young Bucks fur covered horn,
    I gazed at these with a clear sky behind,
    I was lost in the wonder and the world was left .....
    This is Joy, being part of the day.
    This is Joy,
    Being part of the Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara1951 View Post
    love sweetpea but find it hard to grow from seed no greenhouse
    I always used to sow them directly into the ground in April where they would grow up netting fixed to a south facing wall.
    This was in NW England, if you are down south you could do it earlier.
    It's probably still not too late to plant some now.

Just take the dried seed and poke it about 1cm (1/2") under the soil, your little finger up to the first knuckle makes a good 'dibber'.
    I used to plant them about a hands width apart.
    Cover over, water well but don't drown them, and then let them get on with growing.
    Make sure they don't dry out, especially if south facing, water at night as needed.

If you have had trouble getting the seeds to germinate in the past, you could try soaking them overnight before sowing.
    Or you can try slightly cracking the seed’s outer coating just before sowing. On the opposite side to the seed’s black ‘eye’ or scar use a sharp knife to nick the outer shell, or rub gently with sandpaper.

PS.
    You can make mini-greenhouses by putting a plastic sandwich bag over the top of a small plant pot.
    You can keep it in place with an elastic band, make a few air holes in the bag.
    You can remove the bag to water, or stand the pot in a tray and add water from the bottom.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.