Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopeful spring

Hopeful spring

I managed to sow some sweetpea seeds in the greenhouse last Sept and they have done well, including the 3 weeks I was unable to tend the due to being so unwell. Planted some out in Feb and think I will have first blooms by early May again...
    This past week I have willed myself into the greenhouse again, sowing more seeds, Tumbling Toms for pots and baskets, a larger outdoor Tomato, some globe courgettes and some flower annuals.
    Cosmos, dwarf and giant, strawflowers, Love lies Bleeding, and perhaps a few more later......
    Also ordered plug plants for delivery later this month and end of May.....Nicotiana, Million bells, bedding petunia and lobelia....about 24 of each.............I also intend to get to the local nurseries sometime in the next month for Diascia, verbena, surfinia, nemesia, bacopa and maybe more......
    I do have some dated seed packets of low growing stuff, ageratum, ice plants, livingstone daises, allysum and so on. I will mix all these with some silver sand and see how it does in the window boxes, as a backdrop for the annuals above........
    Sounds a lot................and it is, out of breath filling a watering can..but steady plod all the way, and bit by tiny bit, I am sowing my own spring..........Even though it is my Autumn............

Might as well reply to myself.......

Anyway, those seeds I planted 8 or so days ago..........Already have some peeking through.......... Love-lies-bleeding, everlasting flower, cosmos all going strong.......All sowed in trays so will be potting on soon at this rate......Still waiting for the toms and courgettes, but fresh seeds so will be fine...Got more sweetpeas planted out.........Have to get some fresh compost in the tubs and hanging baskets soon as well...........

I used to enjoy growing seeds but can't manage any longer. Don't forget to put some piccies up. It sounds like you'll have a riot of colour and scent in summer. Beautiful

I could bring you some seedlings if you are not too far away......

Thanks for the offer but I have a gardener and just don't care for plants anymore. Can't do much anymore, lost my dog last June, not feeling good.

Well, courgettes and toms doing well, everything else sprouted and seem happy enough.
    Next job will be to refresh the hanging baskets soil, same for tubs and containers, ready for whatever goes in them.
    Think I will be doing more delegating than digging from now on, whatever it takes!

Be about 2 weeks yet before anything comes out for baskets and window box planting..........last frost around mid May round here.
    Everything doing well, too many toms as usual, but never have the heart to cull them so have to give away what I can. Clearing out baskets from last year now,new liners, fresh compost and water retention crystals to go in and be soaked in readiness for the planting out, same with pots and tubs................Then to find plots for everlasting flowers, nicotiana, cosmos and a couple more late sweetpeas.....The February planted sweetpeas are getting broad stemmed and lush now, about 3 feet tall. Should have first blooms on by later this month.
    Got a wisteria in a pot that should really be planted out, been in the pot for about 5 years and never seems to find a home.........Must try to do it this year......Looking forward to some warmer weather................

I love my greenhouse, as you obviously do, such a nice feeling growing things. I have only got tomatoes this year so far, and a friend helped me do a hanging basket, can't wait to put it by my front door.
    I'm going to buy some stock seeds as they like sweet pea smell lovely, love flowers.
    My Mum when she was alive used to tell me to buy flowers for myself, which I do often, online shopping is wonderful, as those huge shops and me aren't friends anymore :-)
    Yes I'm looking forward to some warmth helps with the bones. Take care.

Mods alerted about the missing posts...........

Well, the missing posts are a disappointment..........A bit more IT investment needed I think...........
    Anyway..............First blooms are on the sweetpeas!. Promising.................Planted 20 Sunflowers seed early this week, all are sprouting by today.......Seeds sent to every house in the village by the Parish Council in the hope of a good show in the place......Nice idea.
    Toms are doing very well, as are the nicotiana, courgettes, achillea, amaranthus claudata, everlasting flowers and a few others.........avoiding the temptation to plant out for another week or so to be sure of missing the last frost...
    Finding it very hard and slow going this year, but going to keep at it for as long as I can.........Might be getting put on oxygen soon, that may help a bit, prefer not to but..............