Thread: Hopeful spring

Hopeful spring

I managed to sow some sweetpea seeds in the greenhouse last Sept and they have done well, including the 3 weeks I was unable to tend the due to being so unwell. Planted some out in Feb and think I will have first blooms by early May again...
    This past week I have willed myself into the greenhouse again, sowing more seeds, Tumbling Toms for pots and baskets, a larger outdoor Tomato, some globe courgettes and some flower annuals.
    Cosmos, dwarf and giant, strawflowers, Love lies Bleeding, and perhaps a few more later......
    Also ordered plug plants for delivery later this month and end of May.....Nicotiana, Million bells, bedding petunia and lobelia....about 24 of each.............I also intend to get to the local nurseries sometime in the next month for Diascia, verbena, surfinia, nemesia, bacopa and maybe more......
    I do have some dated seed packets of low growing stuff, ageratum, ice plants, livingstone daises, allysum and so on. I will mix all these with some silver sand and see how it does in the window boxes, as a backdrop for the annuals above........
    Sounds a lot................and it is, out of breath filling a watering can..but steady plod all the way, and bit by tiny bit, I am sowing my own spring..........Even though it is my Autumn............

Might as well reply to myself.......

Anyway, those seeds I planted 8 or so days ago..........Already have some peeking through.......... Love-lies-bleeding, everlasting flower, cosmos all going strong.......All sowed in trays so will be potting on soon at this rate......Still waiting for the toms and courgettes, but fresh seeds so will be fine...Got more sweetpeas planted out.........Have to get some fresh compost in the tubs and hanging baskets soon as well...........

I used to enjoy growing seeds but can't manage any longer. Don't forget to put some piccies up. It sounds like you'll have a riot of colour and scent in summer. Beautiful

I could bring you some seedlings if you are not too far away......

Thanks for the offer but I have a gardener and just don't care for plants anymore. Can't do much anymore, lost my dog last June, not feeling good.

Well, courgettes and toms doing well, everything else sprouted and seem happy enough.
    Next job will be to refresh the hanging baskets soil, same for tubs and containers, ready for whatever goes in them.
    Think I will be doing more delegating than digging from now on, whatever it takes!