Thread: Accessible self catering holiday

Accessible self catering holiday

Hi. Please help me. I need some answers before making a life changing decision.

The decision.
    I want your help to decide whether or not to borrow heavily so that I can offer a comfortable, disabled friendly, self catering accommodation in the Newcastle Upon Tyne area ?

The proposal.
    I have inherited one third of a lovely semi-detached property at the centre of a community based housing scheme. Over the last few years I adapted the property to meet the growing needs of my disabled Mum to include overhead hoisting, roll-in wetroom and wheelchair access.

The property has been in the family since it was built 90 years ago. I cannot afford to live there myself.
    I was my Mum's carer for nearly 2 decades until she 'passed over' recently. and will find it very difficult to now find employment due to my physical limitations and age. So I want to create my own income. And I want to retain the property. And I want to do something of benefit to others.

I am willing to borrow heavily to buy the property so that wheelchair bound folk can benefit from an accessible holiday with their own family / friends / carers.

The issue.
    The problem is I would need to borrow heavily in order to achieve my aims - and I cannot afford for the proposed accommodation to fail as a business. My entire future would depend on it's success, so I need for you to answer as truthfully as possible.

The questions.

* Do you take / intend to take a UK based holiday ?

* What type of accommodation do you prefer ? Given the flexibility and privacy of self catering would self catering accommodation be of interest to you ?

* How far from home are you willing to travel for a UK based holiday ?

* Newcastle upon Tyne has an international airport, national rail links, national bus / coach station, ferry terminal and major road links. Would you travel to Newcastle by air, rail, bus / coach, ferry or road ?

* Newcastle upon Tyne has a rich history, world famous shopping facilities, a vast amount of accessible tourist attractions and activities, and a vibrant night life. How likely is it that you would consider Newcastle upon Tyne as a holiday destination ?

* The property is 3 miles from Newcastle's city centre, 8 miles from sandy beaches and accessible promenades, and a short drive / train ride from the outstanding beauty of Northumberland. Do you consider this a good location ?

* Who do you holiday with / like to holiday with / need to holiday with ? Family ? Friends ? Care / support staff ? Working dogs / pets ? How many people in total in your party ? Or just solo ?

* How much do you typically pay for holiday accommodation (for your entire entourage) ?

* How much would you be willing to pay for a self catering accommodation in Newcastle with one downstairs bedroom with full room ceiling hoist system - with through transfer ceiling hoist to lounge, downstairs roll-in wetroom with ceiling hoist and plenty of room for assisting care staff, wheelchair accessible dining area, upstairs bedrooms for 5 additional people in 3 rooms (more if need-be), wheelchair accessible gardens ? £800 pw ? £1,000 pw ? £1,500 pw ?

* Would you use this accommodation if hoist not needed for your disability ?

* How long do you holiday for / intend to holiday for ? One week ? Two weeks ?

* Do you use the same accommodation for the whole holiday ?

* How often do you holiday / intend to holiday ? Once a year ? Twice a year ? More often ?

* Has lack of suitable accommodation ever prevented you from holidaying ?

* Any other information that might help me decide ?

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !

Kind Regards,

Sandy
    Last edited by Rosewood; 04-11-2017 at 03:07 AM. Reason: made a mistake

Have you tried looking for similar holiday accomodation online?
    https://www.google.co.uk/#q=accessib...n+newcastle+uk

This would give you an idea of what is renting, and for what price in the Newcastle / Northumbria area.

A quick look on tripadvisor from the above search gives 28 wheelchair accessible holiday lets in Northumberland at prices from £75/night upwards.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Vacati...n_Rentals.html

If you look at the Newcastle tripadvisor listings there is one 6 bedroom wheelchair accessible farmouse there renting for £450/night.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Vacati...n_Rentals.html
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-11-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Many thanks for your response Nukecad.

It is really kind of you to post the links, unfortunately these do not satisfy the market research criteria to get a loan to buy out the property.

I have looked at similar properties on line, but there does not appear to be anywhere near Newcastle upon Tyne that has ceiling hoists.

I was hoping that hoist dependent folk would respond positively / would have been keen on renting a holiday accommodation so fully equipped with ceiling hoists and so close to such a wide variety of accessible activities.

I guess maybe that answers my question. There is no evidence of interest from this sector of the market therefore there is no point in trying to provide the facility.

I guess that is why there is no other ceiling hoist self catering in this area. Cant run a facility without customers.

Thanks again for the reply Nukecad. Much appreciated.

Sandy