Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I take copies of "key" evidence to my assessment ?

Should I take copies of "key" evidence to my assessment ?

Hi
    I am new to the forum but have been reading posts by other members for some time now, very helpful. I am in the process of switching from DLA to PIP, I have followed the B&W guides and helpful info from here to fill in my form and attached a lot of other information, test results, OT home assessment full report, Consultant letters and more. I waited 7 weeks then on Friday had a phone call from Atos offering a F2F this Friday, yes, Good Friday !!! I have two Daughters who are Staff Nurses, one who is a senior Staff Nurse and she has worked on a busy ward for 13 years. I did not even register it would be Good Friday until I asked my Daughters if they were free to go with me, it was my Daughter who said " bleep hell they must be raking it in, it is Good Friday" anyway, both Daughters are free, in fact senior staff at my Daughters trust are rarely asked to work Bank Holidays because of the cost to the trust. I decided to take an appointment as I, like many others want it over with ASAP. Atos did say I did not have to accept the appointment ( I knew I did not ) but some had become available to help clear the backlog if I wanted to take one.

My question, ( I have many buzzing around in my head ) is, Should I take copies of key evidence re my disabilities with me and hand them to the HC person as soon as I get in the room ? I have read so much with regards to the HC's not reading the file before hand so not knowing any detail at all about the claiment. Gosh I can see mine lasting hours lol so much to tell him/her about and that is not even involving the 30 0dd different meds I have on prescription.

I was thinking, maybe I shoud do a list of meds detailing what they relate to, dossage, side effects etc and hand this in as well as other bits of key information, Any feedback on this would be appreciated, plus any other things I should be thinking about.

Thank You
    Chazy

Take copies of them, and just have them to hand .............you can take what you like, just do not use a bag, handheld or in a pocket, or if someone with you let them carry papers etc.......and take a list of your medication or a recent prescription too........

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Take copies of them, and just have them to hand .............you can take what you like, just do not use a bag, handheld or in a pocket, or if someone with you let them carry papers etc.......and take a list of your medication or a recent prescription too........
    Totally agree with stree`s sound advise. I would add that the person who goes with you (rather than you) should reach for and hand over any paperwork to the assessor.

Thank you Stree for the input. I will be in a manual wheelchair pushed by my Daughter, my bag with a change of clothes, pads etc will be hanging on the back of the wheelchair as always lol I know some of the tricks they like to pull. The notes will also be in the bag and my Daughter can give them to the assesor, I wear splints on both hands/wrists so no holding anything for me. I have a printed list of meds, so many, I did send one with my form but a couple of folk have said they still ask you for a copy and they ask what each med is for !!! I explained in so much detail about my meds in an additional pages with my form, what they were for and side effects, do they ever read this ? I was thinking perhaps print these pages out again and get my Daughter to hand them to him/he at the start. However, I know before I even get there that no way are they going to sit and read all this while I am sat waiting in the room for the assessmebt to start.
    thanks again Stree

Thank you Steve for the imput

Has anyone had an HC read papers while in the room with you, before asking questions ? There is just so much extra evidence and even getting it down to a few key bits is going to be a nightmare.
    Chazy

Hi Chazy
    If you have any new evidence then hand that to the HCP for them to read and add to your file. Anything you have already sent will/should be in your file, but have copies with you.
    The HCP will be working to a sort of script and most won't deviate from it, so don't expect much discussion. The assessment is primarily about functionality and how your conditions affect what you can do.
    There are many good assessors out there, not all horror stories, hope you get a good one
    Let us know how you get on

Hi chazy
    Our posts crossed, so can see you are already prepared.
    As to your most recent question, I personally did not have my assessor at Capita read any additional evidence. However, according to the Gray report on PIP, Atos assessors were noted as having read evidence (supplied with PIP2 form) before (which could be a day or more) the assessment.
    As to the additional evidence you want to present on the day, I do not know (perhaps others who have experience of this can advise) if the assessor will actually read this at the time. What might be an idea is to list in "bullet points" the key parts you want to highlight and how this affects you, with a reference to where in the papers full details are.
    For example:
    Preparing food: I cannot cut or chop fresh vegetables or open a can because ----- [see page xxx]

or the medication [drug xxx] I take for [condition] affects my ability to do xxx [see page xxx]

I realise that to go through all of your evidence and condense it would be difficult and this is only my suggestion.

Thank you folks very much for you imput it is much appreciated. Gosh Friday 9AM is looming fast now but I am doing all the last bits to try and be as ready as I can be, well my Daughters are. I am so lucky they both are Registered Nurses and know first hand what my difficulties are, to save the district nurses having to visit they even do my three way support bandaging on both my legs bless them. Although of course their main reason for going with me is to push the chair and support me, they are both very interested in how these assessments are conducted. No malice intended to any assesors out there but none of my girls would work for any of these companies, both saying from what they have read and what they have discussed at work it goes against everything they believe in when it comes to dissability, illness and caring for unwell people, however they can see the need for "Fair" assessments as of course they see many who can and do know how to swing the led lol.

I did get a print out of my meds and what I have done with one copy is with a ruler made a margin next to the med, dossage etc and in the margin we have put what the med is for, thought this would save time as he/she will have it all there, I am then going to staple a copy of my print out of diagnosis's and the side effects from the said meds to the med sheet. Does this sound ok ? to get that bit out of the way at the start of assessment. I am having a nighmare sifting through things to find key evidence there is just so much and its all key lol I hope you are right Steve and that everything will have been read before hand.

Thanks again everyone, sure I may need more help tomorrow haha and of course I will come back to let you all know the outcome of PIP and how the essessment went.

Quote Originally Posted by chazy View Post
    Thank you folks very much for you imput it is much appreciated. Gosh Friday 9AM is looming fast now but I am doing all the last bits to try and be as ready as I can be, well my Daughters are. I am so lucky they both are Registered Nurses and know first hand what my difficulties are, to save the district nurses having to visit they even do my three way support bandaging on both my legs bless them. Although of course their main reason for going with me is to push the chair and support me, they are both very interested in how these assessments are conducted. No malice intended to any assesors out there but none of my girls would work for any of these companies, both saying from what they have read and what they have discussed at work it goes against everything they believe in when it comes to dissability, illness and caring for unwell people, however they can see the need for "Fair" assessments as of course they see many who can and do know how to swing the led lol.

I did get a print out of my meds and what I have done with one copy is with a ruler made a margin next to the med, dossage etc and in the margin we have put what the med is for, thought this would save time as he/she will have it all there, I am then going to staple a copy of my print out of diagnosis's and the side effects from the said meds to the med sheet. Does this sound ok ? to get that bit out of the way at the start of assessment. I am having a nighmare sifting through things to find key evidence there is just so much and its all key lol I hope you are right Steve and that everything will have been read before hand.

Thanks again everyone, sure I may need more help tomorrow haha and of course I will come back to let you all know the outcome of PIP and how the essessment went.
    I will be interested in what their opinions are of the clinical part of the assessment in the methods used by the likes of ATOS and if they feel that the ATOS HCP is in breech of oath like agreement they undertook with the NMC when they registered as nurses, whereby they are supposed to treat everyone as a patient and observe what they areed to do, uie put the needs and saftey of the patient first and never intentional do something that could cause them harm, although PIP is not a out of work, benefit like ESA it doesn't excuse them