Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA Assessment?? Are they having a laugh?

ESA Assessment?? Are they having a laugh?

Hello Everyone!

First time poster here, however I've often came onto the forum for a read

My issue is ( as I'm sure you all can clearly see by my title ) is the dreaded ESA face to face assessment

I'm currently in the support group and have been for a few years,

I also had a 3 year PIP award, higher rate for both

So last Aug I had to reapply for my PIP and was given an "ongoing" award , again with higher rate in both components and the letter saying we won't contact you until after 2026 ( I'm aware goal posts can be moved at any point ) I didn't even have to have an assessment

So when my ESA renewal form came in on Jan I figured it would be as straightforward as dealing with DWP could possibly be

So again someone from welfare rights completed the form for me, we enclosed the exact same medical information and reports as the PIP form, and fast forward a few months and bang, letter hits the doormat with a deafening thud!!!

I've to go for a face to face assessment!

Wtf!! , I know they say oh the 2 benefits aren't connected, but come on, I live in the real world! Every question is practically the same and if they've just awarded you an ongoing award on higher rate for both components for PIP, then why in Gods name do they need me in for an assessment for ESA

My anxiety and stress levels have just went into Orbit, I've spoken with welfare rights and they say this happens a lot

But I'm like Mr Spock, if something isn't logical then I struggle to process and deal with it

Has anyone else been in the same situation as me? And if so, how did the ESA assessment go?

I can't believe for a min that some honest guy or gal doing their job could look at my form and reports and say hmmm this guy is borderline , he needs assessed face to face , even though we've just gave him an award for 10 years atleast on PIP

I've hardly slept or been able to function since this letter arrived 2 days ago

I just fear the worst..

Sorry for the rant!

Yes, it's a joke isn't it? The left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing. The extra money it costs in administration is probably some 'staggering' figure. Typical bureaucratic mis-management, so typical of governmental organisations.

I'm just going through both myself - again. I'm pretty much housebound and can only get out with assistance on my 'good days'. A home visit from PIP, no problem - a quick phone call, a few questions and I have a new appointment for a home visit.

ESA on the other hand, I have to send in a GP's letter (at a cost of £32.00) to prove I'm housebound. The fact that they've been paying me because of that for the last four years is ignored.

It does get stressful, it makes you want to tear your hair out and hit someone. Of course, we can't do that so it just 'builds up' and makes us feel even worse; being crippled isn't enough.

Don't let the b*stards wear you down. Accept from the beginning that they're probably going to take it away and make plans for an appeal - that's how I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by StillGame View Post
    Hello Everyone!

First time poster here, however I've often came onto the forum for a read

My issue is ( as I'm sure you all can clearly see by my title ) is the dreaded ESA face to face assessment

I'm currently in the support group and have been for a few years,

I also had a 3 year PIP award, higher rate for both

So last Aug I had to reapply for my PIP and was given an "ongoing" award, again with higher rate in both components and the letter saying we won't contact you until after 2026 ( I'm aware goal posts can be moved at any point ) I didn't even have to have an assessment

So when my ESA renewal form came in on Jan I figured it would be as straightforward as dealing with DWP could possibly be

So again someone from welfare rights completed the form for me, we enclosed the exact same medical information and reports as the PIP form, and fast forward a few months and bang, letter hits the doormat with a deafening thud!!!

I've to go for a face to face assessment!

Wtf!! , I know they say oh the 2 benefits aren't connected, but come on, I live in the real world! Every question is practically the same and if they've just awarded you an ongoing award on higher rate for both components for PIP, then why in Gods name do they need me in for an assessment for ESA

My anxiety and stress levels have just went into Orbit, I've spoken with welfare rights and they say this happens a lot

But I'm like Mr Spock, if something isn't logical then I struggle to process and deal with it

Has anyone else been in the same situation as me? And if so, how did the ESA assessment go?

I can't believe for a min that some honest guy or gal doing their job could look at my form and reports and say hmmm this guy is borderline , he needs assessed face to face , even though we've just gave him an award for 10 years atleast on PIP

I've hardly slept or been able to function since this letter arrived 2 days ago

I just fear the worst..

Sorry for the rant!
    Both benefits do have different criteria PIP iirc metions walking in the moving around descripter where as ESA uses the word Mobilising so could include using a manually propelled wheelchair ,

But if you are in the ESA SG and have PIP awarded for walking enanced rate , then you should be getting them to come to your home or requesting a paper based assessment , maybe a letter of support from your GP would help, because if you can't walk,mobilise then you really shouldn't even consider attending their farce, by doing so you are proving them correct,which they will use to deny you benefits if they can in that you can do more than you say

There are also a few other conditions they have to follow if the nearest assessment centre location is not on a ground floor and you can't do stairs they have to offer a different venue on the ground floor,
    And a lesser well-known rule is on the journey time using public transport if it would take longer than 90 mins from your door to the venue same for the return journey, they then have to offer a home visit or Arrange a taxi on account
    Last edited by tom34; 04-13-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Ok, from my experience what you need to do is contact maximums directly, and ask them to look over your file again as you believe there is more than enough evidence to avoid the need for a face to face. They will then review it (which may well be the first time anyone has actually looked at it) this has worked for me dealing with my wife's ESA.

Stillgame have you requested recording?

Thanks for the replies, I spoke with DWP this morning they weren't interested and told to contact The company involved with the assessment

I knew it wasn't going to end well but what a complete and utter jobs worth arsehole I spoke with

Tom was his name, I had to ask if he was a robot due the script read answers he would not deviate from

After explaining my situation from my pip award and asking for my claim to be looked at again he point bank refused , all he would say is we need more information. The information I provided was more than enough for ATOS why a different outcome from them?

He advised they only contacted my gp and not my mental health professionals, seeing them tomorrow anyways so hopefully get some report from them
    To stop this farce

No point even calling my gp as I won't get an appointment for about 3 weeks and even then you only get 5 mins with them

I asked 4 times to speak to a manger and he refused , I explained my sever mental health conditions and I needed to speak with a manager in order to try further accept and understand this

Again he refused

So I swore and hung up

Now I'm a great mood

Quote Originally Posted by StillGame View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I spoke with DWP this morning they weren't interested and told to contact The company involved with the assessment

I knew it wasn't going to end well but what a complete and utter jobs worth arsehole I spoke with

Tom was his name, I had to ask if he was a robot due the script read answers he would not deviate from

After explaining my situation from my pip award and asking for my claim to be looked at again he point bank refused , all he would say is we need more information. The information I provided was more than enough for ATOS why a different outcome from them?

He advised they only contacted my gp and not my mental health professionals, seeing them tomorrow anyways so hopefully get some report from them
    To stop this farce

No point even calling my gp as I won't get an appointment for about 3 weeks and even then you only get 5 mins with them

I asked 4 times to speak to a manger and he refused , I explained my sever mental health conditions and I needed to speak with a manager in order to try further accept and understand this

Again he refused

So I swore and hung up

Now I'm a great mood
    Yep, this is Maximus (or CHDA as they laughingly like to be known as) all right. I'm in the same boat, I honestly don't think they have even looked at any of the thirty or so pages of medical evidence I've sent in. I'm having my F2F next week and that is all there is to it.

I realise it's not much comfort but, as many on this site can attest to, Maximus/CHDA/whatever are pretty much getting everyone in for a F2F regardless of how difficult it is for the claimant. My GP has written me two letters requesting home assessment. Turned down flat both times (so they read those bits, the bits where qualified health professionals try to help their patients, only to completely repudiate them).

They're not nice people. Don't take it personally (easier said than done, I realise).

Sorry to hear you are going through the exact same turmoil and scenario at the moment

Seems we are certainly not alone with this

I was an appointment with my social worker and physcologist today and explained the situation , he said he would give me a letter to send to them, but said it would only really i been seeing him for the past year and he wouldn't go into any too personal as it wasn't going to a secure destination

Said it probably wouldn't do any good and to prepare myself as best I can that I will indeed have to attend the f2f

Also contacted my GP but no appointments whatsoever until middle of May, f2f is in 2 weeks so that rules out getting more info from her

Well fingers crossed for your assessment next week, please let me know how you get on!

Thanks, will do! Best of luck to you also. To be honest, I am fully prepared for CHDA to find me fit for work next week as that is, quite simply, what they do. Can you pick up a pen and remember where you live? You're fit for work. I've had eight months now of these b******s breathing down my neck (during which time I have had major surgery which I'm currently recovering from) and I just want these people out of my life now, one way or another.

I feel for you. I had to take my ESA to Tribunal in March, (which I won), because they did EVERYTHING, including claiming never to have had 6 lots of medical evidence, which meant I was never properly assessed for a home visit resulting in them sending out 2 conflicting appointments, me not attending and losing my ESA before Christmas.

I am hoping that now I have enhanced and they saw I appealed, that I may get a paper assessment. But a letter from your doctor is the only sure way you will get a home visit and it has to be quite detailed. I was told this by the judge at my Tribunal. Also, ask them exactly what evidence they need so you can be sure of getting the right information.