Thread: P60u

P60u

hello all

i have received a p60u certificate for the tax year i am currently on income based esa support group, just wondering whether i should have received the p60, i shouldnt pay tax on my benefit if its income based

any thoughts

regards

gaz

No you do not pay tax, but this could be related to previous tax year, or another benefit that is taxable. it could also have been sent to inform you have how much taxable benefit you received in 2011/2012.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

The P60 is a notice of coding for the new tax year. It is needed if income from other sources starts to be paid.

The P45 is issued by employers when employment ends. It summarises what has been paid in wages and tax, and is retained by the employee until needed for the next employer.
    P60's are the annual coding notice, showing the tax code which applies to the individual at that point. It doesn't matter that income might be lower than the tax free allowance, but if there is other income the coding would be adjusted to take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    if you where on IB before esa then that would cause a P45 ? to be sent P60 means somewhere you have other incomes even if you dont pay tax on esa you would get p60
    i was on income support on the grounds of illness since 2006 until i got changed over to esa in october 2011 i have no other income apart from income based esa

regards

gaz

Then that could be the reason as IS is taxable. Mind you, I do not get anything from HMRC.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Income Support is not taxable. But there does seem to be a clue here - gazzmg has a P60u - presumably the 'u' means 'unemployed'.
    Unless there is income from savings - ISA interest etc which is taxable - there shouldn't be anything to worry about. As I say these things are sent out for future use if the situation changes during the coming year.

Means tested, is the correct term for IS, based on other taxable benefits. So it can be sent for those on IS, or as you say, for savings too.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by gazzmg View Post
    hello all

i have received a p60u certificate for the tax year i am currently on income based esa support group, just wondering whether i should have received the p60, i shouldnt pay tax on my benefit if its income based

any thoughts

regards

gaz
    I have had P60 every year for years, I assumed some benefits are classed as income. However, as those benefits do not exceed your tax allowance there is never any tax due.