Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about incontinence pads from district nurse

Question about incontinence pads from district nurse

My grandmother gets free incontinence pads from the district nurse. They were previously delivered from tena but they've changed their supplier to ontex. We've just received her latest order and for some reason in the changeover they've changed the size of her net fixation pants from large to medium. The medium doesn't fit and onto won't take the back and swap them. I need to contact the district nurse to change the sizes for the next order in June but in the meantime we're a bit stuck. She received 12 packs of 5 pants and it'll cost about £70 to buy the same amount of large pants. I was thinking of putting the pants on eBay, selling them and using the money to buy the correct size from the ontex website, but I'm not sure if it's allowed. As the pads and pants are provided free, am I allowed to sell them even if I'm using the money to buy replacements in the correct size?

I just don't want to do anything I shouldn't.

Thanks

Quick reply, definitely not the NHS have a team who scour the web for products being sold on websites that are either surgical equipment or simple products, if your found they could prosecute you so my advice is phone the district nurses on Monday, they will most likely have the pants she needs or they could have them delivered, I think you technically could trade them for a larger size as long as no money is being exchanged, perhaps look at other online forums and ask around if anyone has large ones in return for medium ones, and I'm sure the district nurses would be cool with that, if not just give it a week and they should have the ones your mum needs delivered to your local pharmacy or surgery

Thanks for your quick reply. I wasn't sure if the district nurse would have any products she could use. Two year ago, after we moved house, tena made a delivery but to our old address despite the district nurse sending in the change of address paperwork. They had left the pads outside our backdoor, as was our previous arrangement. Because they had delivered them, they wouldn't send out anymore pads until her next delivery date even though the error had been on their end. When I notified the district nurse they didn't have any spare pads for her and she had to buy her own until the next time she was due for delivery - 3 months later.

Hopefully I can take the pants in and they'll be able to send them back and order her the bigger size. Thanks for the heads up!

Very embarrassing!! Contact the continance care with your local NHS and complain, they should not leave them outside, they did this with me once I complained and they now have my key safe number to let themselves in, ask your district nurses for spare Tena fixation pants they usually do have them but grudge giving them, explain the pads are no use when they are not used with the proper net pants, and please do complain about leaving the pads outside that's very degrading and shame on the delivery driver doing that!

Beth x

We had actually arranged for the to be left in our back garden if they delivered while we were out. The garden was very private and closed off and at the time we didn't receive a specific delivery day so we couldn't be sure we'd be in. It was the fact that they didn't change the address after our move that was the problem. The district nurse had to contact them several times before it was sorted out. They said at the time that they had a lot of problems with tena - bad deliveries, problems changing orders, missing paperwork, etc. I think it's part of the reason they switched to ontex who had been great so far. We call up a weeks before the next deliver date to trigger the order and we have a specific date for delivery so we know when to be in. My nana finds the pads much better too. Unfortunately there's just been a mix up with the pant sizes. Hopefully the district nurse will be able to supply her with some while it gets sorted out. Maybe they'll be less grudging about it because I'll be giving them 12 packs of the medium size in exchange.

Again thanks for your help. I didn't want there to be any mix up. I wasn't interested in trying to rip off the nhs - I just wanted to find a way to get her the products she needed. I suppose there must be some dishonest people out there who do try to make money off the free help they get from the NHS.

District nurse is really the person to go they should be able to sort it for you

You would need to speak to the Occupational Therapist who can re-assess your Grandmother and ensure they fixate the correct size tailored to her needs! This is NOT a District Nurse(s) job, it's the job of the Occupational Therapist.
    You cannot sell them, if you do you could get into a serious trouble! They usually ask for them back!

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Khan9262 View Post
    You would need to speak to the Occupational Therapist who can re-assess your Grandmother and ensure they fixate the correct size tailored to her needs! This is NOT a District Nurse(s) job, it's the job of the Occupational Therapist.
    You cannot sell them, if you do you could get into a serious trouble! They usually ask for them back!

Good Luck
    Unfortunately it's the district nurse who does these things on behalf of the local NHS continance service, they are the only ones who can change or amend a repeat order if the patient tries to order something different they are advised to contact the district nurse or GP for a referral back to the district nurse

Thanks for the heads up!

Because I'm classed as using "too many", I'm only allowed 1 pack of bed pads now every 8 weeks,
    dad explained the situation they weren't having none of it. the result being I'm using Puppy training pads from poundworld.
    with everything else going out I cant afford to pay the 8 pounds they wanted per pack,