Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petrol or Diesel?

Petrol or Diesel?

With the latest reports, higher inner city charges and a possible scrapage scheme I wonder if people are now re-evaluating their next purchase?
    Newer diesels are much less polluting but with diesel getting such a bad name this could affect residual values. Agreed it's of little significance to those on Motability long tem but for others, a huge factor. The perceived benefits of better fuel economy are often not borne out in real world driving with just a few extra miles per gallon, not enough to offset the higher purchase price and lower residuals could be the final "nail in the coffin".

Similar scheme in the Republic of Ireland quite a few years ago due to the place coming down with dangerous and or high emission cars.
    Think the car had to over ten years old and the trade in value or goverment supplement was around £2000 towards a new car when you scrapped it.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    With the latest reports, higher inner city charges and a possible scrapage scheme I wonder if people are now re-evaluating their next purchase?
    Newer diesels are much less polluting but with diesel getting such a bad name this could affect residual values. Agreed it's of little significance to those on Motability long tem but for others, a huge factor. The perceived benefits of better fuel economy are often not borne out in real world driving with just a few extra miles per gallon, not enough to offset the higher purchase price and lower residuals could be the final "nail in the coffin".
    You say just a few extra miles per gallon

Well I used to have a 3.0 diesel bmw x3 if you could find me a petrol version of that that beats about 35 around town and 45mpg on a run then id change. Often too diesel economy only works better on bigger engines too. Diesel will be here for a long time yet cant see many tractors buses etc running on petrol any time soon and hybrids dont have the range on batteries.

I'm changing to a petrol 1.4 Touran next week from a 1.6 TDI Golf Estate.

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    Your gonna miss the low down torque and with such a heavy car less mpg good luck with it though I've only ever had 2.0 177 bhp tourans keep an eye on coolant levels too during run in and I had to get mine serviced earlier than the 2 years 20k miles all the filters were terribly dirty

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    Is this on Motability? If yes can I enquire if this is via PIP or DLA?

I have experience of the 1.4 petrol, in 150ps guise. A smooth engine which returns me 44-45mpg in an Octavia. My friend has the 1.6Tdi in estate form and gets around 50mpg so I imagine the 2.0Tdi which offers similar performance to the 1.4 would be thirstier.
    I have been researching the C class. I have decided against this but the difference between petrol and diesel in the real world is about 5 mpg, not the 20mpg stated on government statistics.
    In a recent group test of 3 diesel SUV's all returned near identical actual mpg (within 3 mpg) but on paper the most frugal was over 70mg and the thirstiest just 56mpg.
    I shall focus on a petrol next but I shall avoid the small 0.9, 1.0 and 1.2 turbo as these are known to be less durable than their larger counterparts and to fail after much shorter mileages.

Yes, it's through Motability. Still on DLA. Havent got the dreaded PIP letter yet.

Chose petrol as i don't do enough mileage to warrant a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    Is this on Motability? If yes can I enquire if this is via PIP or DLA?

I have experience of the 1.4 petrol, in 150ps guise. A smooth engine which returns me 44-45mpg in an Octavia. My friend has the 1.6Tdi in estate form and gets around 50mpg so I imagine the 2.0Tdi which offers similar performance to the 1.4 would be thirstier.
    I have been researching the C class. I have decided against this but the difference between petrol and diesel in the real world is about 5 mpg, not the 20mpg stated on government statistics.
    In a recent group test of 3 diesel SUV's all returned near identical actual mpg (within 3 mpg) but on paper the most frugal was over 70mg and the thirstiest just 56mpg.
    I shall focus on a petrol next but I shall avoid the small 0.9, 1.0 and 1.2 turbo as these are known to be less durable than their larger counterparts and to fail after much shorter mileages.
    During my time with tourans had 4 of them 2 on motability at the time and 2 of my own at a later time the I found the 2.0 was more economical because with a bigger engine you have to work it less to make progress and better for motorway cruising and it has more pulling power than the 1.6 to cope with the weight of the car. Generally speaking with diesels ive found your usually better off with a bigger engine than a smaller one.

I do pretty low mileage, 3-4000 if I'm lucky but have once again gone for a diesel. Better fuel economy, gone from a 1.2 petrol Jazz to a 2.0 Skoda Yeti. Most of my driving (when I can get out) is under 10 miles each way but once a month I force myself out and do a 50 mile round trip which is mainly motorway so the DPF gets a good burn through!, had no problems doing this with my previous diesels, Ford C-Max, Honda CRV (5yrs) and a Ford Kuga.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    I do pretty low mileage, 3-4000 if I'm lucky but have once again gone for a diesel. Better fuel economy, gone from a 1.2 petrol Jazz to a 2.0 Skoda Yeti. Most of my driving (when I can get out) is under 10 miles each way but once a month I force myself out and do a 50 mile round trip which is mainly motorway so the DPF gets a good burn through!, had no problems doing this with my previous diesels, Ford C-Max, Honda CRV (5yrs) and a Ford Kuga.
    personally if your only doing 3k miles a year I wouldnt waste my £240 a month plus deposit on the scheme and buy a car to keep but thats another argument.