Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election 8th June

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    JC voted against PIP and disability sanctions, now it's in there's not much anyone can do to change it, but the Tories, including May vote for cuts and sanctions continuously, he led the attack against the newest guidelines. I just cannot comprehend any disabled person voting forr the party that keeps on scimming and scimming the poor. Turkeys voting for Christmas is never truer.
    Blair/Brown may have come up withit, but Corbyn keeps voting against all of the cuts that have been implimented.

As an ex forces, I am sure you cannot be happy about our increased dealings of arms to the Saudi's, the weapons that are then given to our forces enemues?
    Difficult decisions need to be taken in the wider interest. I had a conversation with a client many years ago who hailed from the Congo. He told me that "his government does nothing and people expect nothing" and " we have an excellent government but your people still expect too much". We have an advanced system which, whilst far from perfect, does provide on the whole. Perhaps peoples expectations were raised to high prior to the crash in 2008 with almost everyone expecting ever increasing living standards. I said to my wife in 2007 it seemed to good to be true and is as good as it will get and sadly, after 9 years of stagnating wages, was proved to be correct.
    I believe that many people today have a much more mature and realistic expectation and will use this when judging what each part has to offer.
    If you look at France, they have massive problems. An unrealistic retirement age, bloated state and a workforce who will drop tools at the drop of a hat. Look beyond at southern Europe and its more acute and I suspect will lead to massive change.

Is warkman aware - we haven't had a Labour Government for something like 40 years ?, the Blair regime was (by their own definition) "New Labour" aka 'Neo Con Labour', real Labour was killed off by the scum bag Kinnock and he and his ilk got well paid for that.

Government since the time of Thatcher has become International - not National - so don't expect anything that's happening presently to benefit the ordinary British People because it won't.
    Last edited by Jard; 05-18-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    So, your vote is determined by what the Tories did to mining? You are aware that MORE pits were closed under Labour than by the Tories?
    You are aware that Labour brought in the privatisation of the NHS through PFI which has costs the taxpayers millions?
    You are aware Labour gave the Contracts to ATOS in the first place regarding ESA?
    You are aware that none of the parties including labour, have said anything about the removal of PIP?
    As an ex Armed Forces person, I could not vote for a party who's leader supported the IRA and terrorists, plus supports the disgusting attacke=s on Pensioners who fought for their country in Ireland.
    You could never vote Tory? I could never vote Labour
    A selection of very well made points. I am awaiting moderation on a post which sets out others in a neutral way too.

UKIP's election manifesto looks better than I'd expected. I thought they'd become irrelevant since the referendum, but I see that I agree with them a lot. Strategic voting is daft. If people vote for the party they prefer, it gives the country a better chance of getting rid of the worst dross.

But, as I've heard say, deciding which politician to vote for is like choosing which STD you want.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    Difficult decisions need to be taken in the wider interest. I had a conversation with a client many years ago who hailed from the Congo. He told me that "his government does nothing and people expect nothing" and " we have an excellent government but your people still expect too much". We have an advanced system which, whilst far from perfect, does provide on the whole. Perhaps peoples expectations were raised to high prior to the crash in 2008 with almost everyone expecting ever increasing living standards. I said to my wife in 2007 it seemed to good to be true and is as good as it will get and sadly, after 9 years of stagnating wages, was proved to be correct.
    I believe that many people today have a much more mature and realistic expectation and will use this when judging what each part has to offer.
    If you look at France, they have massive problems. An unrealistic retirement age, bloated state and a workforce who will drop tools at the drop of a hat. Look beyond at southern Europe and its more acute and I suspect will lead to massive change.
    Which would all be well, if they did not hand the rich billions in cutting corporation tax, and also if the sanctions they impliment didn't actually cost them more then they were making back.

Look into it, it is done for a reason, to keep those at the top at the top, and those at the bottom struggling.

I'm totally lost when it comes to politics, each of the two major parties have, in my lifetime, introduced things and done things I did not like (I'm being polite) both concern conflict and taxes, Iraq/Afganistan, Poll and Bedroom Tax...but then what's new? Centuries ago there was the Poll Tax and a Window Tax and even civil war.

I disagree that I should pay for a bedroom that I have to use as a dining room as no room for a table anywhere else,in a converted bungalow that I was moved into from a 1 bed house by my OT team, yet others two years older living in a 4 bed are exempt due to their birth year and are on a pension that my wife has to wait an extra 6 years to receive.

I dislike the amount of violence on our streets including knife and gun crimes. Police are dressed like Batman and toting guns, (When was the last time I approached a bobby on the beat? I can't remember, not seen one for ages as they are sitting in their cars targeting motorists 1 mph over the limit, and I certainly don't like getting near anyone with a loaded gun)

It's quite likely that any changes that could affect me will come into effect when I'm pushing up daisies.
    I think the rule of thumb is as my Grandfather said, if their lips move they are being untruthful.
    So who do I vote for...I don't know but does it matter? we're still going to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitgazer View Post
    deciding which politician to vote for is like choosing which STD you want.
    That's got to be the quote of the election.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thspitcoffee.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	1826

Thank you Biscuitgazer.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

That's our voting over and done with....good old postal votes.

Birdwatcher, and the others that use low corporation tax as an example of costing the UK money by "giving it to the rich"
    Read this:

In 2009-10 the Corporation Tax rate was 28% and the tax take was £36bn. £6.4 bn of that came from North Sea oil. This year the rate is 19% and the estimate is for £46bn of tax revenue with no revenue from North Sea oil. The take has gone up in recent years despite a major reduction in North Sea volumes of output. So by cutting the rate from 28% to 19% we have gained 28% more revenue, or an impressive 55% if you adjust for the ending of North Sea taxable output.

So guess what will happen if you hike it up again? Not hard to work out is it?

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Birdwatcher, and the others that use low corporation tax as an example of costing the UK money by "giving it to the rich"
    Read this:

In 2009-10 the Corporation Tax rate was 28% and the tax take was £36bn. £6.4 bn of that came from North Sea oil. This year the rate is 19% and the estimate is for £46bn of tax revenue with no revenue from North Sea oil. The take has gone up in recent years despite a major reduction in North Sea volumes of output. So by cutting the rate from 28% to 19% we have gained 28% more revenue, or an impressive 55% if you adjust for the ending of North Sea taxable output.

So guess what will happen if you hike it up again? Not hard to work out is it?
    Campaigning restarts tomorrow. What issues will determine the outcome?