Thread: Council Tax-Severe Mental Impairment

Council Tax-Severe Mental Impairment

Hi, Looking for advise please. I have just had my doctor sign a Metal Impairment decleration and I am going to submit it to my council. I live with my wife and there is just the 2 of us in the household. Will we qualify for a total council tax exemption or will it be a percentage deduction. Secoundly can it be backdated to the date I was diagnosed? I was diagnosed in Dec 2012. I receive higher payment of daily living and lower rate of mobility PIP.

Sorry this hasn't been answered sooner, i would advise you contact CAB or your local welfare rights to this question they could help you fight for the back payments although there may be a cut off period to when you will get it back payed

Only just seen this.

If you have a learning impairment you might be 'disregarded' when working out your Council Tax. However, as a relative might supervise you for more than 35 hours a week they are not 'disregarded' if non-disabled.

You might be about to claim a 'Single Persons Allowance' for your wife - 25% discount if you are considered to be 'disregarded'.