Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding the Blue Badge.

Understanding the Blue Badge.

I have never had a BB and am concerned about doing the right thing. My walking issues fluctuates and when extremely bad I will not get in the car. However, it will get me out of the house more ad I will be able to park close to places.

I think only I can use it if I am in the car, passenger or driver, is that correct?

Also, with regards tax; the car is my own so no Motorbility issues there. However, does the disabled status and free tax effect insurance premiums? I don't have a notifIable condition but do I need to inform DVLA of BB status?

Final thing, will I automatically get BB after filling in the council for on Enhanced or will I have an assessment there too?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    I have never had a BB and am concerned about doing the right thing. My walking issues fluctuates and when extremely bad I will not get in the car. However, it will get me out of the house more ad I will be able to park close to places.

I think only I can use it if I am in the car, passenger or driver, is that correct?
    That's correct, also the badge is linked to an individual not a vehicle so you can use the badge in any car you happen to be travelling in. The one circumstance you're not supposed to use it is if you don't leave the car, for example if you as a disabled driver give a lift to the shops to an able bodied relative but wait in the car while they go inside.

Also, with regards tax; the car is my own so no Motorbility issues there. However, does the disabled status and free tax effect insurance premiums? I don't have a notifIable condition but do I need to inform DVLA of BB status?
    It definitely didn't make any difference to the premiums the last time we insured a privately owned car with a disabled taxation class nor did we inform the DVLA other than by changing the taxation class at the post office. That was 8 years ago though but I don't think the rules have changed since then.

Final thing, will I automatically get BB after filling in the council for on Enhanced or will I have an assessment there too?
    That I don't know the answer to, sorry.

Firstly yes only you can use the BB. You don't have to be the driver, and you can use when traveling in another vehicle.

The status of the tax disc does not have any effect on insurance premiums. Neither do you have to notify DVLA. You do need to be careful about declaring your condition to the insurance company. If you don't have a condition that requires notification to the DVLA then it shouldn't effect premiums but I believe you should declare it to the insurance company and say as much. I have a condition which does require DVLA notification and declared it to the insurance company. As the DVLA had put no restrictions in place it did not effect my premiums.

If you receive the motability component of DLA/PIP at the higher rate you should qualify automatically.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Thank you for you help and advice.

"The one circumstance you're not supposed to use it is if you don't leave the car, for example if you as a disabled driver give a lift to the shops to an able bodied relative but wait in the car while they go inside"

I'm sure that's not correct. As a disabled driver I use my badge when parked at supermarkets etc. so my passenger can go in and get my shopping in for me on days I simply can't walk that far. Again I use it if my Autistic son goes to the dentist or GP, he can't get to the surgery on his own but can manage from the car park to the entrance. There are many instances where I don't need to leave the car or at other times simply can't and have to rely on someone else to do things for me.

In fact I did it yesterday, my bank is about 100m from the nearest parking spot (it's in a pedestrian precinct) so as I was in a lot of pain my neighbour came with me and made my deposit for me while I waited in the car for her.
    Last edited by phaedra; 04-20-2017 at 01:04 PM.

All the issues I have are not on the list of DVLA notifications. Driving isn't so much an issue it's the getting in and out nd walking at each end.

I will talk to my insurance broker though. They know I have Hashi's.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    "The one circumstance you're not supposed to use it is if you don't leave the car, for example if you as a disabled driver give a lift to the shops to an able bodied relative but wait in the car while they go inside"

I'm sure that's not correct. As a disabled driver I use my badge when parked at supermarkets etc. so my passenger can go in and get my shopping in for me on days I simply can't walk that far. Again I use it if my Autistic son goes to the dentist or GP, he can't get to the surgery on his own but can manage from the car park to the entrance. There are many instances where I don't need to leave the car or at other times simply can't and have to rely on someone else to do things for me.

In fact I did it yesterday, my bank is about 100m from the nearest parking spot (it's in a pedestrian precinct) so as I was in a lot of pain my neighbour came with me and made my deposit for me while I waited in the car for her.
    I'm afraid it is true. You are abusing the privilege and risk losing the BB and facing a fine of up to £1,000.00 for its misuse.

I also don't take co-codamol if I am driving. I will speak to the insurance broker.

With regard to council, all I did was apply and inform that was in receipt of PIP mobility component, with copy of award letter.

The DfT Rights and Responsibilities do say, the blue badge is for the benefit of the badge holder, however it goes on -
    "Do not allow other people to use the badge to do something on your behalf, such as shopping or collecting something for you.
    IN the section it also says - "You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car."
    This is for England and Wales, Scotland and NI may be different.

I thought the comment by Mortimus was correct, but had to double check after Phaedra's comment.
    Last edited by mzmps; 04-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Just spoken to my insurance broker and explained everything and I was told it will not affect my insurance at all. If my doctor has stated I should no longer drive then that would make a difference.

I asked if I should inform the DVLA and he told me it wasn't necessary and is entirely up to me.