Thread: Esa

Esa

Hi all hope someone can help me, new to this so please bear with me, I'm 63yrs old suffer with arthritis in my right shoulder right hip and right knee,in sept2016 I signed on JSA after a month was on sick period for 13 weeks then moved to ESA after a period of 3 months was told by a doctor I had to go back on JSA but after hospital visit and told I needed to use crutches and was put back on ESA ,had my accesment on 19th April,then on 21st April had hospital apt and was told I need hip and knee replacement. Sent sicknote to ESA lasting 3 months now I recived result of accestment which ESA say I'm fit for work,rang ESA and explained they have sick note for 3 months and I need hip and knee replacement but they said I need to appeal can anyone please give advice on this,many thanks in advance

First of all, are you claiming income based benefits or contribution based benefits?

If you are claiming income based then check out whether you are eligible for Pension Credit.

Information here:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter...ension-credit/

As regards ESA you can appeal or if you have a new condition or your current condition has significantly worsened then you can put in a new claim for ESA.

For a new claim your doctor would need to write a new fit note with the words ****** (condition) significantly worsened.

Suggest that you get some advice from CAB or a welfare adviser as difficult to comment further without knowing what medical evidence you produced for your assessment. Any appeal would be based on your condition at the time you applied so it is worthwhile seeing if you can make a new claim based on either a new condition or a significantly worsened condition.

Thanks for reply pmlindylou am on income based ESA , at the time of my accesment had no medical evidence but will send hospital evidence when I revive it