Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delays in DWP informing Motability of DLA to PIP loss of allowance?

Question Delays in DWP informing Motability of DLA to PIP loss of allowance?

I was assessed in December 16 for DLA to PIP. I unfortunately was put on standard mobility rate from a lifetime award of high rate under DLA. I decided that I would not go through with the ordeal of an appeal process.

I thought that it would not be long before I had a letter from Motability advising me about returning my car. My last payment of DLA was in 3 Jan 17. However I have not had a letter to date.

When I first had the decision letter I called Motability to let them know. They said do not worry they will write to me once the DWP have informed them of the outcome. Since then I have contacted them a further 4 times and have been told not to worry as the DWP have still not informed them. I am told to keep using the car until they write to me, and I am still insured to drive it.

Now I am counting on the £2000 transitional support payment to help towards purchasing the car or using it as a deposit for a new one (I have had a Motability car for long enough). However the announcement on 20 April about extending the time to 26 weeks has got me concerned that Motability will take it that I have chosen this option as I still have the car. This would mean I would get the reduced package payment of £500.

I last called them on the 22 April for clarification. The advisor told me that in my case they still had not heard from the DWP and any timescale will run from the date they are informed. Yet on the Motability website it says the date will be from the date of the last payment (3 Jan).

I find it hard to believe that 1) the DWP have not told them, or 2) they have not woken up to the fact that my payments have stopped.

I have told Motability at each stage I am not going to appeal and that I will be looking to return or purchase the car, once I know what price they want.

Is anyone else in a similar position? Is the new announcement dressed up as good news, a synical way of cutting the transitional support payment? Although I am still using the car I just want to get this sorted as it has been hanging over me for far too long.

Have you rung the DWP to find out why they haven't informed Motability?

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    Have you rung the DWP to find out why they haven't informed Motability?
    Hi, no I have not as I don't see why I should. I have kept Motability informed. They do not seem too surprised I guess there must be a backlog in the system due to the high number of returns? They are reassuring on the phone and say just wait. Plus the cost of calling the DWP is a lot and you are kept holding for ages.

Different scenario but similar delay. I chose to terminate my Motability contract early and took a loan out to buy a van instead.

Motability were great and I handed the car back I think a week after first contacting them.

Something somewhere broke down though and my PIP continued to be paid to Motability for 3 months after I gave the car back.

It was pretty straightforward to sort though, my friend phoned both Motability and DWP (PIP number) for me and the payments came to me within a week. I think you need to phone DWP asap

Different scenario but similar delay. I chose to terminate my Motability contract early and took a loan out to buy a van instead.

Motability were great and I handed the car back I think a week after first contacting them.

Something somewhere broke down though and my PIP continued to be paid to Motability for 3 months after I gave the car back.

It was pretty straightforward to sort though, my friend phoned both Motability and DWP (PIP number) for me and the payments came to me within a week. I think you need to phone DWP asap

"Something somewhere broke down though and my PIP continued to be paid to Motability for 3 months after I gave the car back. "

Thanks, there was no delay in my payments changing, my DLA was changed on the date they said and the whole process as far as the change from DKA to PIP was rather quick. The DWP did not hang around. Maybe I will phone them during the week but I feel I have followed the process down the line and have kept Motability in the loop all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Werdna View Post
    "Something somewhere broke down though and my PIP continued to be paid to Motability for 3 months after I gave the car back. "

Thanks, there was no delay in my payments changing, my DLA was changed on the date they said and the whole process as far as the change from DKA to PIP was rather quick. The DWP did not hang around. Maybe I will phone them during the week but I feel I have followed the process down the line and have kept Motability in the loop all the way.
    I hope it gets sorted out for you soon.

Hi all, I called DWP today. Because of timescales they cannot see on system if Motability where advised, but thought it likely they was. The DWP are sending through a reminder notification. I will email Motability today to advise.

This is the wisest course of action.

My partner had this problem, his dla ended in December (now on standard) anyway like you we expected a letter end of December early January thinking the car must be returned by 21st of January, I called Motability thinking with Christmas and new year there had been a delay or even worst the letter had been lost, I was reassured that they hadn't been informed, this continued for 4 months, we received a letter just over 3wks ago, and another last week to say we could keep the car until June 14th or until October but if we keep it that long we will only receive £500 of the transitional payment, we are returning the car tomorrow. I hope that helps, I know how worrying it is, we are in the same boat we need the £2000 to help get another car.