Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordering a hoist with Motability.

Brilliant link, thank you stree!

Essentially my chair is 3 pairs of wheels, but then the driving pair hung in the air without traction at the foot of the ramp. Looks like the Royston ramps are altogether better than mine were, though of course the key to my problem would be the ramp angle (its length).

Ring and check with Carol, very helpful........

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    ERmmm it is the dealers JOB to ensure the hoist is fit fr purpose, in consultation with the hoist installer, apart from that how can you expect someone who had no knowledge of hoists and fittings to "check" themselves????
    If anything goes wrong then one quick call to Motability will absolutely ensure full cooperation of both dealer and the hoist fitter, believe me, when the big M says "jump" they do.............From experience......
    Well I expected autochair who supplied the hoist to at least tell me before supplying really that it would fit in my then c max as they were the experts in that field after all they told me it would. I called motability and in the end it was just taken out and binned I think.

I bought my Autochair 4-way boot hoist for my ageing Renault Scenic .

I use it to lift my unfolded manual wheelchair plus bolt on motor into the boot. It cost about £1500 but would have cost just a few hundred pounds if I ordered it through Motorbility when ordering a new lease car.

You can only get subsidised cost at the time of ordering.

They actually came to my house and fitted the 'A Frame' and hoist on site. That was lucky as they had to modify the hoist attachment fittings to suit my impairment.

I would say order the hoist as it makes life a lot easier and you won't damage your or someone else back lugging it in or out.

Boot height is the critical thing. You just need the max height, width and depth of the scooter plus weight the hoist people will let you know if there will be a problem.

I've got a Vauxhall Zafira Elite, 2l diesel auto. It's great to drive and fits my hoist and scooter beautifully. It's a 7 seater so I don't lose my seats in the back. Recommend ordering a hoist through motability at the time of ordering at the dealer. It's so much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    I've got a Vauxhall Zafira Elite, 2l diesel auto. It's great to drive and fits my hoist and scooter beautifully. It's a 7 seater so I don't lose my seats in the back. Recommend ordering a hoist through motability at the time of ordering at the dealer. It's so much cheaper.
    I use a rooftop box hoist now, but have had a couple of boot hoists with scooters. I remember Motability saying that Zafira was the most popular car boot hoist/scooter when I was speaking with them once. A good boot size and shape for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    I’ve had a look at the Seat Alhambra that’s also a 7 seater and would indeed be great with the two back seats left permanently down for the scooter but unfortunately causes me trouble because of its length ?

Although the seven seater will fit on my hard standing, come drive, it mean’s my drive gates need to be opened out across the public pavement so would require me driving out then reverse parking to the kerb, getting out and closing the gates. It’s something I did for years as an able bodied person but much too much trouble for me now I’m disabled. BTW (@CTCELT88) this is why I ruled out the VW Golf Estate when I ordered my current Golf back in 2014.

Odd thing whilst my second favourite after the Golf at the moment (Seat Ateca (with the same footprint as the standard Golf but an extra over hang at the rear of 100mm that I can accommodate)) the Seat Alhambra to buy out right cost getting on for £10,000 more than Seat Ateca but the Motability AP prices are the other way around with Alhambra SE going for £899 AP and the Ateca SE weighing at £999 AP, current book price.

Another 4 weeks to go until the new Motability prices get published so still sitting on the fence till then and the other good thing I noticed after my last post here is the Motability Road show in Exeter is on the same day I go on holiday to Dawlish so two birds with one stone.

I lost my car when I was transferred to PIP (no mobility award), now over a year later I've been re-assessed but only got standard rate mobility back.

However, I was looking round the other day and Skoda are doing some really good PCP leases, I just ordered a new Yeti for only £700 down and £200 a month (including the service/maintenance package), with the standard rate mobility payment now coming in it's only costing me an extra £104.67 a month to lease it for the 3 years. May be worth having a look at a personal lease?.
    Last edited by phaedra; 06-04-2017 at 02:10 PM.

I have just got a Ford C-Max with a boot hoist (Brig Ayd 80kg hoist) on motability. It's great and so simple. My scooter is Pride Go Go Elite Traveller Plus (4 wheel). The hoist cost £95.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    I lost my car when I was transferred to PIP (no mobility award), now over a year later I've been re-assessed but only got standard rate mobility back.

However, I was looking round the other day and Skoda are doing some really good PCP leases, I just ordered a new Yeti for only £700 down and £200 a month (including the service/maintenance package), with the standard rate mobility payment now coming in it's only costing me an extra £104.67 a month to lease it for the 3 years. May be worth having a look at a personal lease?.
    Don't forgot you might be also eligible for an ex vat purchase making it cheaper still I've done that and put my adaption cost on that plan too Also beat in mind if your low mileage might only need 1 service during the 3 yrs so might be cheaper just to pay for one service ex vat too