Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordering a hoist with Motability.

Ordering a hoist with Motability.

In August I will be ordering a new car on Motability for delivery in November.

I’m thinking this time around to having a scooter / wheelchair hoist installed and wanted to know the procedures for this and the cost.

Nothing set in concrete yet but for an example I was looking at a 4 way hoist that has an overall cost of £1,095-00p and on the Motability price list it says the customer will pay £95 towards the overall price of £1,095.

This seems like an incredible bargain and just wondered if I went down this road do I inform Motability that I’m going to order the hoist and agree with them I would be paying the set £95 or do I just order with the dealer who I use to order the car?

Do it via the dealer...................You pay the £95 along with any advance payment that may be due.............Check which hoist Co they use, they tend to have favourites, then see what hoists they do...............

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Do it via the dealer...................You pay the £95 along with any advance payment that may be due.............Check which hoist Co they use, they tend to have favourites, then see what hoists they do...............
    Hi

Make sure the boot is big enough for the hoist and the chair too unlike my experience with autochair years ago who said both were and when it came to installing it in the then motability c max neither would fit properly.
    Now I just lift my chair in as only weighs 12kg lot quicker

ERmmm it is the dealers JOB to ensure the hoist is fit fr purpose, in consultation with the hoist installer, apart from that how can you expect someone who had no knowledge of hoists and fittings to "check" themselves????
    If anything goes wrong then one quick call to Motability will absolutely ensure full cooperation of both dealer and the hoist fitter, believe me, when the big M says "jump" they do.............From experience......

Thanks for the answers guys, I’m not sold on the hoist yet but the new car has to be ordered by the summer bank holiday and there’s a Motability road show in Exeter in July so I might go down there and have a chat with them about the hoist.

Getting my scooter into the boot of the car is a bit easier now because my new scooter has one of those singlehanded release levers so I can dismantle and lift it into the car by myself but I’ve had the odd days where ageing aches and pains can make this hard to do even with the other half giving me a hand.

My current car is VW Golf and I love its performance, toy’s and ride and at the moment it is still my first choice for renewal but I think a hoist will be a hindrance most of the time with the Golf due to space but I’ve been looking at the Seat Ateca that has a larger boot but unfortunately has a higher AP for the SE model and the other thing putting me off is the Convenience Pack (automatic lights, wipers and dimming mirror) only comes with the top of the range model and way out of my price range. I could add the pack as an extra at £175 but then I’m back in that area where I’m putting a lot of money down on something I’ve only got for 3 years.

Just to add before anyone says it, I’m too old to get into finance deals and buying my own motor and most other Motability cars just don’t quite meet my needs.

With all that said I’ve got to wait until the July AP prices come out anyway because the slightest increase there will definitely drive a nail into the Seat’s coffin but if I go for the Golf I will give the hoist a miss (and save on the AP) but if I go for the Ateca then I will get the hoist and thanks all for the information you have supplied I now know the score with ordering the hoist.

I would strongly recommend checking yourselfthat any car you are considering will fit your scooter and a hoist in the boot and in my experience the most reliable way to check is by speaking to the nearest conversion company who could fit the hoist for you - you can find this information on the Motability web site. I'm sure dealers will also check at some stage but it's something I've always felt I needed to know before I really consider a car - I've never been able to lift a scooter or chair, so hoist is essential. I've found dealers a bit unreliable and slow to check out the details - but I might have unlucky or a bit mistrustful!

Really good idea to go to a Roadshow and have a look.

I had a hoist fitted, into a Peugeot 308 estate........( very roomy load space for class), lifted a Shoprider Sovereign in and out, a class 2 scooter. It meant removing the seat, but apart from that fitted fine..........Then changed scooter, to Class 3 Pro-rider roadking, still acceptable weight for the hoist, and still fitted OK...............But a lot of faffing.....not that impressed with using a hoist in general.
    So bought a set of folding ramps.....so just power it up on slowest speed, pack the ramps in and away........I took the hoist out and packed it away in the shed, and it stays there until car goes back....and I get to keep the ramps of course.........
    So that is my hoist experience.

And Fliss, I say again. How is someone who has zero experience of car hoists going to check the suitability of any car-hoist combination whilst bypassing the dealers whose job it it is ???.If you think a dealer or installer are dragging their feet the phone Motability............Your deal is with them, the dealer and installer are just in line to pick up the business, so it is in their interest to ensure that you are happy.if you are not happy, then say so........and for goodness sake do not try to do their job for them.....it will end in tears..
    Use the system, do not try to replace it with your own efforts time and labour doing something you are not qualified for or experienced in.

Have a look at Golf Estate Chris, as the boot is pretty big. Not sure if hoist will fit though.

Biscuitgazer
    Stree, how long are your ramps? I have that car too & wanted to use ramps, but my chair couldn't deal with the angle, the anti-tip wheels on my little powerchair prevented it going onto the ramp.

Biscuit, not sure how to deal with anti tip wheels..... My ramps are 6 foot, length is based on triangle, floor, boot sill height and the ramp.
    Speak with Carol here, very helpful, where I got mine...............http://www.roystonresources.co.uk