Thread: Quality control of PIP and ESA assessors

Quality control of PIP and ESA assessors

How are the HCPs assessing claimants kept under control by the DWP, does anyone know? What I mean is, it seems that HCPs can visit claimants and put what they like in their reports and it's down to luck and claimant effort if the award is appropriate. And by luck I mean either getting a good assessor or being selected at random for auditing. But is there any system for making assessors want to try hard to make their reports accurate in the first place, so that claimants do not need to appeal?

For example maybe a system of measuring the recommendations of the contracting company (or the individual practitioner) against the final / tribunal's award, and applying sanctions if there is a difference.

I could not find any information on quality control - maybe someone here can shed light.

I have found some information, concerning the initial tendering process for PIP, and the individual allocation of said contracts, per area. The area being part of the country covered, i.e. London, south east, Northern Ireland, North, North East England etc.

While once I have the energy to go through it, it may not provide real insight, no doubt it will be a boring but interesting read.

But for now, it seems the DWP at arms length approach means.
    1. Complain to Capita/Atos in the first place.
    2. Then you can try the regulating body, i.e. NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council).

Though the response to some have been;
    a. They don't work for us anymore.
    b. They didn't cause any harm.

I made complaint about DWP staff, nothing heard in response, the HP and DM/CM reports, left me on the edge of ending it all. Getting it together now to do something about it. Hopefully it will have a good ending. Let's not forget, though they may subcontract work to Atos, the DWP still has ultimate responsibility to monitor and evaluate day-to-day.

But yet again, I will say it I do know people who have been happy with their assessment. But, what there is effectively in place for the rest of us is a good question.

If the person is a Registered Nurse report them to the Nursing Midwifery council. Its standed practice to suspend the Nurse until the complate has been sorted
    Last edited by lost; 05-18-2017 at 05:54 PM.

See, now that's what I mean about effort made by individuals (many of them vulnerable) like mzmps or others having to complain and appeal. But a system that gives HCPs an incentive to assess people properly because it is part of their contract of employment, not just because they are a nice/efficient /truthful person, that would be a good thing. Possibly mzmps's "boring read" has it!

I really wish there was either some incentive to do a proper job the first time (still smarting from my first ever assessment was done by a HP who admitted not even reading my PIP2 form! ) and not have the expense of an appeal, not to mention further stress for the applicant -
    Or a system where they are somehow 'financially punished' for every appeal that is successful as a result of their original shoddy work.
    If there is no comeuppance it's no wonder that this is such a problem!

If I hadn't been randomly selected for an audit my HCP would have got away with her lies!!!!
    I was lucky but it shouldn't be down to luck.
    It should be fair and monitored x

There is a bit about auditing and quality control in the 2nd independent review of PIP that was published in March. (As usual I find myself unable to post the link from the forum discussion of the review.) The review says that PIP assessments are improving and the audit criteria are better than they originally were. But I couldn't see anything about how (or whether) assessor standards are enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmps View Post
    I have found some information, concerning the initial tendering process for PIP, and the individual allocation of said contracts, per area. The area being part of the country covered, i.e. London, south east, Northern Ireland, North, North East England etc.

While once I have the energy to go through it, it may not provide real insight, no doubt it will be a boring but interesting read.

But for now, it seems the DWP at arms length approach means.
    1. Complain to Capita/Atos in the first place.
    2. Then you can try the regulating body, i.e. NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council).

Though the response to some have been;
    a. They don't work for us anymore.
    b. They didn't cause any harm.

I made complaint about DWP staff, nothing heard in response, the HP and DM/CM reports, left me on the edge of ending it all. Getting it together now to do something about it. Hopefully it will have a good ending. Let's not forget, though they may subcontract work to Atos, the DWP still has ultimate responsibility to monitor and evaluate day-to-day.

But yet again, I will say it I do know people who have been happy with their assessment. But, what there is effectively in place for the rest of us is a good question.
    We tried to complain about Atos four years ago, when I was actually bedridden at the time they visited, they stopped everything that time, three months of hell, not enough energy left to finish the complaint, but we still have all the paperwork. So now this has happened once again and we have got outside help now from a lady who worked for DWP for twenty five years with no pension at the end of it, due to her disabilities. Watch out A toss.