Thread: Awaiting appeal, should I stay on JSA or go back on ESA?

Awaiting appeal, should I stay on JSA or go back on ESA?

Hello all, first time posting and looking for some advice, I'm told that while I'm waiting for a date for my appeal I can go back on ESA at a reduced rate but that I need to hand in a sick note, or I can stay on JSA, (which I was forced to apply for after my ESA was stopped) to be fair my job adviser actually seems like a human being and is sympathetic to my situation so isn't pressing me hard to look for work. So, what I'm wondering is, should I just stay on JSA and get a sick note to cover me until my appeal date? If I need to hand in a sick note for ESA anyway and the money is the same should I save the hassle of having to re-apply for JSA, which I'm assuming I'd need to do, if the appeal isn't successful?

GH

If your advisor isn't pressuring you to much I would stay on jobseekers as you say it will be less hassle than reapplying for jobseekers if you need to.I was thinking the same thing for myself as I have just had a wca and am expecting to have to apply for jobseekers myself while I wait for appeal.

If my advisor was ok I wouldn't use up my jsa sick time if I didn't need to incase I needed for another time.

Like you say the money is the same the only difference is in what they can ask you to do while waiting for the appeal.

If you are OK with what you are being asked to do in terms of jobsearching etc. then you may as well stay on JSA.

The only thing to watch with that is if you are already sending sicknotes to JSA, and so have a reduced claimant commitment because of being sick.
    You can only have 13 weeks extended sickness on JSA and then you have to go back to full jobsearching.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

I haven't handed any sicknotes in yet, was going to earlier on in the week but I thought I'd hold off until I did a wee bit of research into it, I'm new to this whole thing, my original ESA claim was awarded relatively easily but now I'm apparently fit for work despite my condition having not improved in the slightest. My job adviser has made notes in my "client commitment" that I'm very limited in what I can do, and I've made it clear that I won't lie about my condition when filling out application forms.

Sounds like you have got one of the good 'work coaches', there are quite a few (But we tend to only hear about the bad ones).

As I say if you are happy enough with what you are being asked to do on JSA, without any sicknotes, then stay on JSA without any sicknotes.

Why rock the boat if you don't need to.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.