Thread: Piers of the UK

Piers of the UK

I was considering visiting all 56 piers but have already visited half so am pondering. I am also considering visiting every railway station which will be a task requiring great planning and forethought. I am looking at other similar options and wonder if anyone has any thoughts?

Wow! every railway station in the UK is going to take some time.

For instance the West coast of Cumbria (say Lancaster to Carlisle by the long route) has about 50 stations (I've not counted here but about that) and one train every hour, and you have to change at Barrow-in-Furness.
    Travel is restricted on Sundays, a big chunk of the line from Millom to Whitehaven has no service on Sunday.

So reckon you could do about 10 or 15 stations per day.
    Most of them are request stops in the middle of nowhere, so you would be sat on a platform for an hour.
    (Yep, round here at a lot of stations you stick your hand out to stop the train, just like a bus stop).

Good scenery for most of the line though, sea on one side mountains on the other.

Then think about the Scottish Higlands, Wales, some of the remoter parts of England, and the service there.

Could be an interesting project but it will take years - and I hope you have won the lottery to pay the fares.

(Of course you could do it by car, but to me railway = train).
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-28-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

You could have a word with the Ticket Collector/Guard at the start of your journey to see if you could just step off and step back on as the train stops! Then again if he says "no" then you have a problem. i would think it more feasible to drive by car, but would you consider that cheating? It's your project, so you make the rules.Good luck.

Good idea jumping off and on at regular stations, but at the request stops the train will only stop if someone is waiting to get on or if a passenger has a ticket to that stop.

It would upset the timetable and annoy your fellow passengers if the train stopped at every one just so you could get off then on again.

According to Wikipedia there are 148 rail request stops in the UK. Altough that list may not be complete or up to date.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Great_Britain

Now that might make a more managable target, visit, by train, every one of the request stops in the UK?
    (Use an all day or all week rover ticket to do all the request stops on a particular line?).

Although some of the stops you can only use if you have business there, like 'Lympstone Commando' which although on the public line is only used to access an army camp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	1830

My ex mother in law is having lots of mini breaks in caravans,covering the whole of the English coast
    She is really enjoying herself

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Good idea jumping off and on at regular stations, but at the request stops the train will only stop if someone is waiting to get on or if a passenger has a ticket to that stop.

It would upset the timetable and annoy your fellow passengers if the train stopped at every one just so you could get off then on again.

According to Wikipedia there are 148 rail request stops in the UK. Altough that list may not be complete or up to date.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Great_Britain

Now that might make a more managable target, visit, by train, every one of the request stops in the UK?
    (Use an all day or all week rover ticket to do all the request stops on a particular line?).

Although some of the stops you can only use if you have business there, like 'Lympstone Commando' which although on the public line is only used to access an army camp.

This is an excellent idea. To visit every station I estimate would take years and be very expensive with hotels etc. This is manageable.

If you are considering this then the following may be of interest:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Tin...lls/0749575611
    http://www.railforums.co.uk/index.php

There was also a TV series about request stops, "Paul Merton's Secret Stations" that you can watch again on All4
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/p...ecret-stations

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    I was considering visiting all 56 piers but have already visited half so am pondering. I am also considering visiting every railway station which will be a task requiring great planning and forethought. I am looking at other similar options and wonder if anyone has any thoughts?
    Visiting every Railway Station in the UK would mean at sometime you would visit the town where I live.

I live in Thurso in the far North of Scotland and the Station here is the Most Northerly Railway Station in the UK. Thurso in on the North Coast of Scotland and if you go any further North you will fall into the Pentland Firth.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    <snip>

It is NOT an army camp, the establishment is occupied soley by the Royal Marines which are part of the Royal Navy.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisD; 06-03-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks for the correction Chris.

I was being lazy and should have realised/ remembered that the commandos are Navy and not Army.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-02-2017 at 06:24 PM.