Thread: Pension Credit one is over 60 other partner isn't!

Pension Credit one is over 60 other partner isn't!

Hi again
    Not felt very well so not posted! I have read that the government will put a person who is 60+ on Pension Credit on Universal Credit if their partner is of working age?

Now I have read from Parliamentary questions from Pensions Minister Steve Webb if a couple are already receiving PC and up until April 2013 they can remain on pension credit.
    Just copied and pasted this

Are Pensioners Affected?
    Universal Credit will NOT replace Pension Credit. However from October 2013, when Universal Credit is introduced, if either member in a couple is under the qualifying age for Pension Credit then the couple will be ‘treated as working age’ and expected to claim Universal Credit. Pensions Minister Steve Webb has said, in response to a Parliamentary Question: ‘It is intended that those already in receipt of Pension Credit at April 2013 will be protected, and continue to receive Pension Credit as long as they continue to meet the other qualifying conditions.’1 Due to the abolition of Housing Benefit, the DWP are updating Pension Credit to enable pensioners to claim for their housing costs (including rent) as part of their Pension Credit claim.

This is a link to the actual comment from Steve Webb http://www.publications.parliament.u...11220w0001.htm

It does seem rather perverse of the government to take money off a partner who is in receipt of pension credit because their partner is under pension age.
    Hopefully Mr Webb MP will keep to the above promise!

This plan to only allow Pension Credit when both partners are over retirement age was proposed some time ago. But this is the first I've seen about how it is going to be implemented.
    I don't see it as 'taking money off a partner who is in receipt of PC' though. It reads as if those making a new claim for PC from October next year will come under the new rules. Those already receiving PC as a couple as of April next year will remain on it - as long as they continue to meet OTHER qualifying conditions. (The word 'other' is the important one here.)
    End of the day it will be swings and roundabouts as PC and Unversal Credit equalise.
    My main concern here is the (as yet) unanswered question as to what will happen to Housing Benefit for pensioners who do not qualify for PC. Whether it simply means that an HB claim will be dealt with as part of the PC claim - as happens with IS claims now. Or whether it means that the DWP will be taking over the administration of HB claims. The latter seems unlikely, since Local Authorities each set their own level of Local Housing Allowance.
    But either way the unknown aspect is whether pensioners will have to qualify for PC before being able to claim HB at all. Again - unlikely - as HB (and CTB) have different rules altogether. In which case those who don't get PC would still have to make a seperate HB claim.
    I am trying hard to convince myself that this is yet another small oversight by the DWP during a period of change which they clearly can't cope with!

Thanks for your reply, do you know if this actually went through parliament?
    If they bring this in does it mean the partner at 60+ when reckoning up the premiums will be as say for a person under 60?
    This being because of a younger partner? I mean a ''new claim'' not existing claim.
    I'm very confused on all these changes, HB is going to be paid direct so does that mean some people have to apply direct to their local council?
    Last edited by Gatti; 05-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatti View Post
    Thanks for your reply, do you know if this actually went through parliament?
    If they bring this in does it mean the partner at 60+ when reckoning up the premiums will be as say for a person under 60?
    This being because of a younger partner? I mean a ''new claim'' not existing claim.
    I'm very confused on all these changes, HB is going to be paid direct so does that mean some people have to apply direct to their local council?
    Yes it has gone through Parliament - apparently with very little opposition. There are still finer points to sort out, and no actual amounts yet. But Universal Credit will replace Income Support, income based JSA, income related ESA, housing benefit, tax credits and social fund loans.

It won't affect contribution based benfits for working age people, and won't affect Pension Credit (except for cases like yours where both partners have to be the qualifying age for PC.)

It also won't have 'premiums' as we are used to with Income Support. Instead there will be 'allowances' for the various additional needs. As far as I can see these are still being finalised.

Housing Benefit claims will be included in both UC and PC claims, so yes people who don't get those benefits will - it seems - still apply direct to their Council for HB. Housing Benefit is already paid 'direct' to most claimants anyway, except where there are arrears and a landlord/tenant can ask for other arrangments.

Unfortunately non of us have all the answers because the government still has a lot of detail to sort out, but the information is beginning to emerge.

Ok this is a bit scary, So what if like me at 56 i am 11years older than my wife so when i reach 65 she will only be 54(my wife will probably still be working when i reach 65) can i claim my state pension on my own?? What happens when i am 60 though as i am on long term ib (suppossing i remain on this or its equivalent in the support group) will i then have to claim for pension credit or wait until i am 65...Confused here because it sounds like i cant claim my pension until i am state pension until i am in my mid seventies......will someone who does know please explain..Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sickofem View Post
    Ok this is a bit scary, So what if like me at 56 i am 11years older than my wife so when i reach 65 she will only be 54(my wife will probably still be working when i reach 65) can i claim my state pension on my own?? What happens when i am 60 though as i am on long term ib (suppossing i remain on this or its equivalent in the support group) will i then have to claim for pension credit or wait until i am 65...Confused here because it sounds like i cant claim my pension until i am state pension until i am in my mid seventies......will someone who does know please explain..Thanks
    First you will be able to claim your state pension for yourself. Your wifes' state pension will be a separate thing based on her own NI contribution record when the time comes.
    Second - you won't be able to claim Pension Credit until both of you have reached state pension age. Until then your IB - or ESA - will cover you if you still satisfy the criteria for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    First you will be able to claim your state pension for yourself. Your wifes' state pension will be a separate thing based on her own NI contribution record when the time comes.
    Second - you won't be able to claim Pension Credit until both of you have reached state pension age. Until then your IB - or ESA - will cover you if you still satisfy the criteria for it.
    So i can claim my state pension when i am 66 (not 65 as it turns out) but what is pension credit and how does that effect me? Thanks

Pension Credit is basically a top up if you pension is considered too low, so you have a minimum income. Pension Credit is means tested, can affect other benefits & can also allow you to claim other things, such as free dental. Who can claim & how much depends on many factors, such as private pension, total household income, etc.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Back again on this, it mentions people already on Pension Credit will remain and it reads up to April 2013?
    Does anyone know what date it will be in April? The cut off date?
    Plus I thought Universal Credit was from October 2013?
    In this post I'm writing where one person is under pension credit age.
    Please read the very first post where it mentions mixed aged couples!
    Last edited by Gatti; 05-16-2012 at 07:07 PM.

The April date for any changes in benefit rules is always the same as the new Tax Year date.
    Universal Credit starts to 'pilot' next April, and from October 2013 existing claimants of the benefits being changed to UC will start to be changed over. The change is expected to take 4 years. During that time there will be two benefit systems running side by side - the present one and UC.
    Couples where only one partner is under the age for Pension Credit will only be able to claim UC from next October. I haven't yet seen any statements on how mixed age couples will be treated during the transition phase. But the DWP is saying that no-one will be worse off. We live in hope...