Thread: 2nd PIP Assessment, any pointers pls guys?

2nd PIP Assessment, any pointers pls guys?

Hi everyone,

I have my 2nd PIP assessment in a year tomorrow and wondered if anyone has any general tips.

I say 2nd as I went through the whole process last year. Firstly got 0 points from the initial assessment. The report by the HCP (that's a laugh, she thought I had cerebral palsy erroneously) was full of omissions, lies and Fabrications. Asked for a MR and got the same result so requested an appeal which I had In December where I received 4 points for the care components and none from the descriptor for engaging with people which is my primary issue. I have long term chronic depression and anxiety particularly social anxiety. Various treatment s and medication over the years. Am currently on high strength citalopram.

I actually don't know why I'm submitting myself to this process again as I'm sure many of you have experienced the utter humiliation, stress and assumption of mistruthfulness during the process. It's about not caving into the implicit guilty until proven innocent mindset now and fighting for recognition.

Anyway my question is does anyone have any good advise about trying to minimize any real or imagined evidence for them to penalise me by?

Last time I was open and forthcoming and after I read the lie of the assessment I was horrified. I'm thinking of barely not saying anything and using one word answers.

I am on ESA and was in receipt of DLA until last year.

Thank you so much in advance.

Matt

I'm waiting to hear about the outcome of my pip assessment by next week at the latest. I have severe generalised anxiety disorder. My assessment was a complete disaster, I was so distressed I couldn't speak, and they terminated it after 15 minutes, and I've had a paper assessment instead. I'm really anxious waiting to hear the outcome. I sent in psychiatric reports and care plans.

My advice is try and be yourself. Take your time to answer questions. If you need a break tell the assessor. You must be feeling really anxious. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by BellJar; 06-15-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Had the same experience after four years on DLA thinking I would get this indefinitely three months before 65th birthday invited to claim pip awarded nil points .Income halved mental and physical health deteriorated to the point where I no longer leave the house .Feel as though I have aged 10 years in the last eight months .Still waiting for appeal date ,put new claim for pip in 6thJan had to fight to have home assessment .which I had last week the difference was like night and day .This assessor was a psychiatric nurse .(still waiting for outcome but hopeful) .the advice I would give is go over your application check the descriptors that apply to you .Dont chit chat (this is natural but could go against you )they write down everything that you say .just explain the difficulties you have .If you have to go to a centre think carefully about how you get there as this is also used .Make sure the assessor asks if this is a good or bad day for you as illness often fluctuates and the assessment is just a one hour snapshot of your life .By the way ask the name and qualification of assessor I have reported the one I had last year to the Nursing and Midwifery council as she was a disgrace ..Hope this helps a little and remember that lots of other people have been through this

mattypompy let us know how it goes A good site is Work and Benefits

Quote Originally Posted by mattypompy View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have my 2nd PIP assessment in a year tomorrow and wondered if anyone has any general tips.

I say 2nd as I went through the whole process last year. Firstly got 0 points from the initial assessment. The report by the HCP (that's a laugh, she thought I had cerebral palsy erroneously) was full of omissions, lies and Fabrications. Asked for a MR and got the same result so requested an appeal which I had In December where I received 4 points for the care components and none from the descriptor for engaging with people which is my primary issue. I have long term chronic depression and anxiety particularly social anxiety. Various treatment s and medication over the years. Am currently on high strength citalopram.

I actually don't know why I'm submitting myself to this process again as I'm sure many of you have experienced the utter humiliation, stress and assumption of mistruthfulness during the process. It's about not caving into the implicit guilty until proven innocent mindset now and fighting for recognition.

Anyway my question is does anyone have any good advise about trying to minimize any real or imagined evidence for them to penalise me by?

Last time I was open and forthcoming and after I read the lie of the assessment I was horrified. I'm thinking of barely not saying anything and using one word answers.

I am on ESA and was in receipt of DLA until last year.

Thank you so much in advance.

Matt
    Hi this is awful that you are having to do this all again, good luck with it.

In answer to your question re 'barely not saying anything' my assessment was a yes no answers and got me nowhere, as he still lied.

I'm waiting to see if my Autistic son (27 on Sunday!) will have to have a face to face, his GP rang me a week ago so I know they've contacted him (waste of time as he knows nothing about ASD and hasn't even met him!).

The last assessment we had was paper based, more than likely as when someone came out for his original assessment he couldn't get a sensible answer to anything he asked!, "Can you cook a meal?" answer, "The cooker doesn't like me" he got the same answer to the next few questions even though they were completely unrelated to cooking!.

I pity whoever gets the job of giving him a face to face, I've been asking him questions for over 20 years, even now there's more chance of getting a PIP assessor not to lie than there is of getting a yes or no reply or in fact anything that resembles an actual answer to the question I asked him!.

BellJar Had my assessment last week awful waiting to hear from DWP are you like ,me one minute optimistic and the next depressed .It really should not be like this

Barbara, yes it's awful waiting. Every time the post arrives I get really anxious looking for that brown envelope. I keep running over in my mind what I'm going to to say for my mandatory consideration/appeal. People with mental health problems, or any disability should not be put through this turmoil.

Well let me know what happens and good luck .If you do have to go to MR there is a sight called work and benefits and you can join them.They have a very good members guide on how to pick apart a HP assessment .Think people with mental health illness are being targeted because we are easy picking but dont give up .I wont

Hi guys,

Just an update on how my assessment went on Thursday. Of course I was very anxious before I went and did some background reading. Felt sorry for the guy next to me in the waiting room, we both there for about 1\2 over the appointment time and he clearly had severe anxiety or a tic disorder. He couldn't stop jangling his keys and rustling his bag.

Anyway it was a guy who saw me who was a paramedic apparently. He was very nice and professional and I was in there for about 45 mins. I said to him at the outset that I was going to be concise and brief with my answers due to past negative experiences. He was somewhat taken aback I think. Ultimately I was just honest with my answers and described how I was inquiring bad day mostly. I nearly fell into the trap of engaging in chit chat toward the end and he seemed pleasant but just about jogged myself back into being pragmatic and not giving any evidence to him to misconstrue.

I will see what happens. I'm not expecting to get any award so if I do it will be a bonus. I must say I'm pretty emotionally exhausted after all the anxiety leading up to it. More than I thought I would be ??

All the best with all you guys claims.

Cheers for the support.

Matt