Thread: ESA & Carer's Allowance

ESA & Carer's Allowance

Hi everyone.

I hope I'm posting in the right section.

A neighbour has told me that I should be claiming CA for my daughter who gets DLA(both higher) rates. I myself claim DLA(both higher) and income based ESA due to severe illness.

Should I be claiming CA?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by sharg View Post
    Hi everyone.

A neighbour has told me that I should be claiming CA for my daughter who gets DLA(both higher) rates. I myself claim DLA(both higher) and income based ESA due to severe illness.

Should I be claiming CA?
    you can claim it but it might/could overlaps with esa ...if you are on esa and claim they could ask questions about your esa claim

case example where it can work out is someone with mental health problem looking after someone with physical problem and they both get dla

Thanks for your quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by sharg View Post
    Hi everyone.

Should I be claiming CA?
    Yes, you should claim Carers Allowance. Though the Carers Allowance is taken into account for Income Based ESA, you qualify for a £32 a week carers premium to be added to your ESA. You gain £32 a week extra.

Thanks.

I want sure if claiming CA would affect my own claim as I claim DLA & have been awarded ESA under the special rules.

Will will not affect your DLA, but could affect your ESA. You may not lose the full amount of CA from your ESA.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen