Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got points for anxiety on low dose medication?

Anyone got points for anxiety on low dose medication?

Hi all.
    Applied for PIP and got no points for question - engaging face to face and the other question - going out.
    I had explained in great detail how I am affected almost every day by anxiety and am almost housebound,
    Reason given was that I am on a low dose of medication so can't be badly anxious. Yet I have been ref'd to psychiatrist.
    I was under impression its not about meds but about how you cannot do activities.
    Medication is not the only treatment for anxiety.

Can anyone else say if they received any points for these PIP questions relating to mental health. please? Q11 and Q13
    thank you.

I've just got my assessor's report and I got 4 points for engaging with people and 4 points for making journeys (prompting). The assessor kept going on how I was a 'moderate' dose of medication. It's actually a maintenance dose. I was on a higher dose which gave me serious heart problems as a side effect. I sent medical evidence detailing this and they ignored it! I think they would have preferred for me to die from a heart attack. That's the impression I get. It's really upset me. Anyway I don't have enough points for an award. I haven't got my decision letter yet but I'm already working on my MC.

Thank you Belljar. I replied to your thread about this. It's awful isn't it?
    What dose are they calling your low dose? And of what?
    I don't know where to turn next I'm in a real state I can't possibly go to CAB they never have appointments and even with my husband with me if I went I'd have a panic attack. Don't know where else to get advice.

Similar problems on my report, on maintenance dose, on one of the medications I am on, high dose is only for the short term, usually at the start of treatment. As belljar says, heart problems are a recognised problem with some anxiety/depression medications. Then other medication, initially for other conditions can have positive effect on other conditions as well. Relaxants, anti-convulsants, blood pressure etc. The HP who wrote my report said, 'standard' medication, bit vague there by them.

There are the non-medication approaches, such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which my HP said was for pain, Ha.

Are there any other charities, organisations, that support people with social anxiety, psychological/mental health, that could possibly help? I was thinking of MIND, but they have local support networks, but they may also be able to advise on more specific help for your needs.

Thank you Mzmps, Good idea re 'Mind'! I am currently searching frantically online for some kind of forum with knowledge on this subject (Mental health and medication levels to be awarded - or denied PIP) but cannot find any as yet
    I cannot phone anyone, because of my anxiety - I need to converse in writing.

The way people with mental ill health are being treated is appalling when will they realise you cannot will yourself better no more than you could will a broken arm better without help .and what is not taken into account is that the standard meds prescribe slow you down doze you up affect concentration .without the underlying condition .So yes people with mental health illness need help just as much as people with obvious physical impairments sooo angry

Hello Stressiebessie

I'm afraid that even if you did manage to find information about the medication levels to be awarded - for one person, sadly it doesn't follow automatically that anyone else will be awarded PIP if they take the same medication dosage.

We have had many people on the forum often with on paper very similiar illnesses/ill effects/medication however their awards or being turned down for PIP vary enormously. With no rhyme or reason it comes down to the pure pot luck of the PIP process.

I, myself was given a very low score for my mental and physical health problems. I have regular psychiatry appointments, on maximum dosage of meds, supplied detailed evidence and have suffered life changing physical injuries that can never improve or grow back.

I had to go to a tribunal to be be awarded PIP care. I couldn't face speaking to someone for help with my claim, if I had, I believe I would have been awarded the mobility I believe I should qualify for too.

Don't be like me, please do speak to someone to get the help you need for a successful claim.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello Stressiebessie

I'm afraid that even if you did manage to find information about the medication levels to be awarded - for one person, sadly it doesn't follow automatically that anyone else will be awarded PIP if they take the same medication dosage.

We have had many people on the forum often with on paper very similiar illnesses/ill effects/medication however their awards or being turned down for PIP vary enormously. With no rhyme or reason it comes down to the pure pot luck of the PIP process.

I, myself was given a very low score for my mental and physical health problems. I have regular psychiatry appointments, on maximum dosage of meds, supplied detailed evidence and have suffered life changing physical injuries that can never improve or grow back.

I had to go to a tribunal to be be awarded PIP care. I couldn't face speaking to someone for help with my claim, if I had, I believe I would have been awarded the mobility I believe I should qualify for too.

Don't be like me, please do speak to someone to get the help you need for a successful claim.

Good luck.
    Thanks for reply.
    The fact that its down to pot luck is simply OUTRAGEOUS!!!
    It ought to be a fair and uniform process!!!!!
    I'm so upset, I feel imprisoned by my inability to seek help on this matter, and of course this whole process is making me much worse. I am only OK in writing, hence I wrote pages of stuff to go with my PIP form and explained why.

The HP admitted she had not even READ my Pip at my f2f which went on for 2 and a half hours whilst she typed slowly.

My husband Im sure is sick to death of dealing with my dramas resulting from this whole PIP business. I get so I cannot face talking about it, the thought of seeing my GP about it makes me feel like throwing up, honestly.

thanks for reading

Stressybessie it's a very unfair process. I have spent the afternoon drafting a mandatory reconsideration for my PIP claim. It's actually been quite satisfying to get the points I want to make down on paper. I have made some really strong arguments, quoted the DWP's legislation back at them, and made lots of points about the detrimental impact this whole process has had on my mental health.

I'm an academic by trade and I have been thinking a lot over the weekend about how PIP and it's so-called assessor's is quasi legal. It treads a very murky water between being legal, and illegal. I wish I had a big pot of cash, and could take the DWP and it's assessment process to the European Court of justice ( whilst we are still in the EU!).

I would love to publish the nonsense written in some of the HP reports