Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daughter told not to bother applying for PIP

Daughter told not to bother applying for PIP

Incredible

My daughter has been claiming ESA since dropping out of Uni over a year ago, she has really bad depression and anxiety and sometimes can't leave her room for days at a time. She's attempted suicide a number of times and been hospitalised because of this.

The Job Centre in Canterbury have been absolutely useless, fobbing her off with the wrong information, taking 3 months to sort out housing benefit etc. making her sign on while continually promising to put her into the support group. After yet another episode where she couldn't get out they stopped her benefits so no rent last month and no money for food etc. Of course my ex-wife and I once again had to foot the bill.

So, 2 weeks ago she went in to try and clear things up, come back next week and we'll have all the paperwork sorted to put you into support group. Back she went and was told, sorry I meant next week, back again today to find she was seeing someone about her asking about applying for PIP, he told her it wasn't worth wasting her time, she wasn't "bad enough" and would be better off joining an online support group

He had no idea if/when she would get any payment as that wasn't anything to do with him, and no, there was nobody else she could speak to, come back on July 5th and see what they say then. Absolutely incompetent useless A-Holes

They've been fobbing her off for over a year, taking months to sort things, then doing it wrong and giving her the wrong information time after time. Luckily (?) she (and the other tenants) getting kicked out of the flat share on the 29th (as term is over) and will have to come back home as she has nowhere else to live down there, no landlord will touch her due to the DWP messing up her claim so many times and the rent not getting paid on time, we had to pay it and she's never had a backdated payment to cover any of it.
    Last edited by phaedra; 06-19-2017 at 12:39 PM.

id totally disregard anything the jobcentre say and put in that application. you have nothing to lose by trying.

try to support it with as much medical evidence as possible. Psychiatrist/CPN reports etc. anything from the hospital would be extremely helpful, especially if she was transferred to a psychiatric ward.

I rang and asked for the forms to be sent out as she has no phone signal where she lives, first they denied they could do this and made me ring round various departments. When they finally agreed they could send them they never arrived, she got the CAB to chase them up and still nothing, this has dragged on for at least 3-4 months. Hopefully when she's back home we can sort it out easier as she'll be here not over 300 miles away.

She's under the local mental health team down there and back in therapy, I'll ask her to keep any paperwork she has from the hospitals, discharge letters etc.

All the best for when she gets home. I would say they are useless but that would be an understated, understatement!

Sounds like best place for your daughter is at home at the moment. Get an appointment with your CAB for her as soon as you can, batten down the hatches and prepare to go to war for her.
    The very best of luck to you and her, keep us in the loop for whatever support we can give.
    D
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Never take any notice of people from the job centre when they say you "not bad enough". They are not medically trained or have your medical records. Also apply for anything you think you might be able to claim, if you get knocked back, appeal.

What an absolute joke. I echo what the above posters have said - ignore the job centre. Ring them up get the forms ans apply and fill out the forms and get as much supporting evidence as you possibly can to support your case detailing your daughters illnesses. The job centre are not the decision makers.

So, small update.

She's now back home, going to her mums later today. Managed to get home from Canterbury Friday night by loosing her rail ticket and having to pay an extra £108, so not a good start

Rang Universal Credit this morning to notify change of address etc. and request an urgent job centre appointment as she still hasn't been paid (5 weeks), first appointment is over a week away

Asked why she has never had a limited capability for work assessment despite being under the mental health team, having doctors letters, hospital admissions for overdoses etc. and continually asking the job centre for over a year?, answer, we don't do them!!!!

Apparently she has to continually hand in sick notes and when it reaches some magical unknown point "someone" will get in touch about it.

Absolutely hopeless
    Last edited by phaedra; 07-03-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Glad to hear you have her back safe. Next step is CAB to apply for PIP.
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Small update.

Went to her first appointment at the new Job Centre, lady seemed quite helpful, she should get paid on the 15th and at her next meeting they'll look at switching her to telephone appointments instead of having to come in.

We'll wait and see how it goes

ps. Still trying to get an appointment with the CAB, my ex-wife didn't go to the drop-in advice centre I found for her last week as planned so that's slowed it down again
    Last edited by phaedra; 07-12-2017 at 05:42 PM.