Thread: Starting a business and working all whilst claiming PIP?

Starting a business and working all whilst claiming PIP?

Hello guys and gals,

I couldn't really find anything in regards to this so thought I would ask for some help.

I currently have PIP but solely just the mobility element. I don't receive any sort of living arrangements etc, I literally just get my Mobility car.

Anywho, I do currently work but I'm considering as a side thing to start a business with a friend. It doesn't involve anything that goes against my claim and the job would be the same as what I currently do.

I'm just concerned whether this will affect my claim or not. Can anyone advise, thank-you.

PIP is not a means tested benefit so is not affected by income from working, employed or self employed.

You can be a millionaire, own multiple companies, have a vast income from shares, etc., and you would still be eligible to claim PIP.

As you have noted the only possible issue is if the work you are doing were to conflict with your reasons for being awarded PIP.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    PIP is not a means tested benefit so is not affected by income from working, employed or self employed.

You can be a millionaire, own multiple companies, have a vast income from shares, etc., and you would still be eligible to claim PIP.

As you have noted the only possible issue is if the work you are doing were to conflict with your reasons for being awarded PIP.
    Thanks for the reply Nukecad.

Maybe I'm overthinking this haha. I don't see the work conflicting as it will be the exact same as what I do now (sat in an office using a computer) but yes, good shout.

Would I need to make anyone aware of me doing this?

Interesting question.

They do say you should report any 'change of circumstances'.

But TBH that would get tedious, especially if the change does not affect your entitlement.

I suppose it depends on just how much the change is.
    If I won £50 on a scratchcard I wouldn't bother, £5, 000 I'd tell them, £500 not sure.
    None of those would affect my ESA but I would expect questions down the line if I didn't mention the £5k.

If in doubt then tell them to cover yourself.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.