Thread: PIP and travel concessions

PIP and travel concessions

Does being awarded PIP give entitlement to any bus or train discounts at all?

I already have the English National Concessionary bus pass for free travel after 9:30am weekdays/all weekend, and have bought a Disabled Person's Railcard too.

Wondering if there's anything else?

No there isn't anything else to be honest that's free bus travel and a third off rail so not sure what else you expect there to be?

There might be some local schemes for free rail or tram travel, maybe even free ferry or toll bridge crossings, depends on where you live.

Best bet is to ask at your library what is available locally.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    No there isn't anything else to be honest that's free bus travel and a third off rail so not sure what else you expect there to be?
    I don't know, maybe being able to get free (local) bus travel at any time? I know some counties/areas lift the time restrictions for disabled people in their area, but your bus pass must be issued in that area to qualify. I was wondering if perhaps being in receipt of PIP would lift the time restrictions everywhere. Or if it entitled you to the disabled rail card without needing to pay for the card.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    There might be some local schemes for free rail or tram travel, maybe even free ferry or toll bridge crossings, depends on where you live.

Best bet is to ask at your library what is available locally.
    I didn't think of asking at the library, that is a brilliant idea. Thank you.

I've never come across that i know some buses let you travel before 9.30 if you show them your pass and pay £1. And if you have a blue badge you don't usually have to pay on a toll bridge though that varies and in london think you ar excempt for congestion charge though not 100% sure you'd have to check with your local council. If you have trams you can usually travel on those in your own area for free as previously stated. If you can use your concessionary pass on your local trains then you don't have to pay for the train ticket till after the last stop that your covered for.

It is possible in some areas of the country to get a 24/7 ENCTS card, which as it indicates allows free bus travel outside the usual hours of 9:30-23:00.

This is issued to those who qualify for the pass on disability grounds, but who need to travel earlier or later in order to get to work or training.
    It is also issued to those who need to travel to day care before 9:30.

Here is an example of the standard ENCTS cards available in Cumbria, including the Disabled 24/7 card
    http://www.nowcard.org/concessioncumb.asp

There is also a 'Companion Card' which allows free travel for your companion if you need to be accompanied on journeys.
    http://www.nowcard.org/companioncumbria.asp

Stagecoach Cumbria also allow the use of an ENCTS pass on certain long distance 'express' services which would normally be excluded.

These are discretionary extra services offered here in Cumbria, other areas may have different different discretionary offers.
    You need to check what extras are available in your particular area.
    (For instance in London your ENCTS pass allows free travel on trains as well as buses).
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.