Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smart Energy meters are a good thing aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    No, or at least not yet.

No doubt in a few years it will become a case of:
    "Your current meter is old and unsafe so we need to fit a new one. These are the only ones we have now."
    So not mandatory but your choice will have gone.
    Then you prevent it phoning home, by blocking it's signal ,lead or tinfoil, or build it's own Faraday cage, they do also have the option to disable the sending data part,

The only benefits i see are for the utility companies , not customers

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Energy consumers who are reluctant to accept the modern smart meter technology could be charged an added supplement to their bills for the privilege of having a meter-reader call to record the gas and electricity readings. Once the majority of energy consumers have been provided with smart meters, why should the remaining minority with the old type meters be unfairly subsidised by the majority of consumers?

Chris
    Do you think that smart meters will reduce bills ? if so you will be disappointed, We are all paying for these meters in our bills, you want those who don't want these smart meters to pay more than you? and what about those who's homes or positions of meters aren't suitable for smart meters, and those who live in places where mobile signals are weak or non existent?

But an end to estimated bills though !
    Call me Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    But an end to estimated bills though !
    Some times estimated bills can work to our advantage , just as customer meter readings can, no flexibility will the 1984 devices though

Anyone remember when they employed meter readers to actually come out and read your meter every quarter?
    (or every month to empty a coin meter if you had one).

No (or very few) estimated bills back then, but I guess they saved a lot in wages so they could keep more profit by getting rid of the meter readers.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

But the consumer was paying for these meter readers ? Since privatization only the share holders get the profits. I honestly can't see a problem with smart meters.Most things nowadays are gearing up to the 21st century, why even benefits get paid straight in to your bank account.
    My local train station now has ore-pay ticket machines at every station on route, buy your ticket before boarding the train ! Who profits by all these idea's ? Not Joe Public.Petrol stations had petrol pump attendants, I could go on all day.
    Smart Meters work for me & if these can be a better alternative to people paying sky high rip-off prices by using pre-pay meters then all the better. People on a limited budget are terrified of getting over estimated bills they couldn't afford either.
    Call me Mike.

I agree with gus607.

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    I agree with gus607.
    Also agree. Very few things now for benefit of customers.

I'm with British Gas for both Gas and Electricity. I was already on a capped rate tariff (can go down if the standard rate goes down, but can't go up past the rate as at when I locked it). After having my smart meters installed, they contacted me to say that there was a new tariff available and I could have free electricity on either Saturdays or Sundays (my choice which day) without changing the existing tariff for the rest of the week. This would not have been possible with my old meters.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    I'm with British Gas for both Gas and Electricity. I was already on a capped rate tariff (can go down if the standard rate goes down, but can't go up past the rate as at when I locked it). After having my smart meters installed, they contacted me to say that there was a new tariff available and I could have free electricity on either Saturdays or Sundays (my choice which day) without changing the existing tariff for the rest of the week. This would not have been possible with my old meters.
    That is a bonus worth having ! Do all your washing, drying & ironing that day.!
    Call me Mike.