Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Energy meters are a good thing aren't they?

Smart Energy meters are a good thing aren't they?

Smart Meters are in the news again following the Queens speach.

The government are all for them, indeed it's the government that are pushing them.

The Energy industry are all for them.
    Of course the industry will save money on meter readers, and can disconnect supplies more easily (no need to get a court warrant to enter your home).

The advertising and media releases say consumers are all for them because they will save money on our bills.

But is this true? or are they just another government White Elephant?

The article below suggest that:
    • It will cost each of us at least an extra £200 added to our bills to install a smart meter.
    • They do nothing to reduce bills - other than show you how much energy you are using so you can turn things off if you want.
    • The communication system they use (ZigBee) is not fit for the purpose and won't work in 1/3 of homes.

The article is from 2014, but nothing has changed (except the costs have probably gone up).
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...-not-work.html

One thing that article does not mention: each supplier uses a slightly different systems, so if you switch supplier then your smart meter becomes a dumb-meter again.

Oh, and if you already have a smart meter (or are shortly getting one) its communications are already outdated and it will need to be replaced.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...g-due-blunder/

BTW a smart meter uses electricity to send a reading every 30 mins to the energy company server.
    Guess who pays for that electricity in most cases? (Clue - the communications hub that sends out the 'phone' signal is usually on your side of the meter).
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-24-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

And its away for big brother to see what you are up to EG If your away then it would record less energy being used what rooms your in Big Brother Also l worry regarding cyber attacks and the fact the microwave signals are being sent around your home, yes the company's state it safe ( they would say that) am yet to be convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    ... the fact the microwave signals are being sent around your home, yes the company's state it safe ( they would say that) am yet to be convinced.
    Are you using WiFi to post that? Maybe you are also watching TV or have the radio on?
    I assume you have mobile phone coverage in your area?
    (Taxi, ambulance, police car driving anywhere nearby?)

All kinds of energy waves, from microwave to ultra long wave radio, are being passed through your home all the time.
    And have been for years.

The sun naturally puts out energy that covers all the radio frequencies we use, thats why we get radio and TV interference when the sun is very active.

Visible light is just energy waves that are even shorter in wavelength (around 1 micro-meter) than microwaves (around 1cm to 10 cm).

Don't worry about it until it gets to very short wavelengths below about 1 nano-meter. (X-rays, gamma rays).
    OK, UV is just above that (10 to 100 nano-meters) and that will also burn you and cause skin cancer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.

I read some research regarding smart meters and there are two schools of though As you stated above regarding WIFI ect however there was a worry regarding the signal being sent out. mind they said living next to an electricity pile lone is safe, again some studies have shown in crease in Cancers and other illness. So it depends on your school of thought. My biggest worry is the big brother issue as they can be used for more than just sending your utility usage

I had a smart meter fitted at the end of May. The reason being I was fed up of estimated bills and there is no way I can read my meters to correct them and am terrified of getting into debt. The requests to have the meters read either worked or it didn't. I don't have the internal box that tells me what is being used plugged in. Will only switch it on when I receive a bill just to check.

Both my meters were changed to smart ones earlier this year, free of charge too no cost whatsoever to me. Saved quite a bit of money too & I don't have to mess around with meter readings anymore either.
    One good thing is that I can see just how much my wife's shower is costing, saved quite a bit by enforcing a strict five minute shower instead of twenty minutes !
    Call me Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    free of charge too no cost whatsoever to me.
    Not quite, the cost is added to your (everybodys) standing charge (or unit cost if your tariff has no standing charge).

If you read the first link in my first post you will see:
    Energy companies will begin the mass installation of smart meters next year at a cost of at least £200 per home, and have admitted the expense will be passed on to customers.

l have refused to have a meter the company did try and pressure myself into having one, however l had a legal letter sent to the company stating l do not wish a meter silence. However l understand some people find them handy.

I filled in the online form & where it said "What date would you like your smart-meters installing" I ticked the "Today" box !
    One hour later a profuse apologetic phone call saying they could not fit my meters today but were giving me £40 for my inconvenience, you couldn't really make that up & I wasn't going to argue either !
    Call me Mike.

I will never have their spy meters in my home, they benefit the suppliers only they don't save you money that is a lie and they use mobile phone tech to communicate, which will be frequently sending and receiving data, no good for our health , they are also insecure and open to hacking