Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smart Energy meters are a good thing aren't they?

I don’t think the idea behind the smart meters was to save consumers money as a therm of gas at any given price is a therm of gas no matter how it’s burnt, no, the ideal of smart meters is so you can see in real time how much gas you have used on a Winters day prompting you to turn the heating off and in turn causing you to die from hyperthermia and in turn solving the pension crises.

Joined up thinking by politician’s of all colours.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    Smart Meters work for me & if these can be a better alternative to people paying sky high rip-off prices by using pre-pay meters then all the better. People on a limited budget are terrified of getting over estimated bills they couldn't afford either.
    There are advantages to having smart meters
    - You'll no longer miss the meter reading person
    - There are no more estimates
    - I get discounts for dual fuel, direct debit, paperless statements, money back from bank for utilities spend.
    - I pay the same amount each month but if I don't spend the agreed amount they refund me every 12 weeks.

The downside
    - Eon say if I change energy suppliers in the future their smart meters may not work with the new supplier.

So far I'm happy with the arrangement and I have a small digital screen in-house that tells me how much it's costing per fuel per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    There are advantages to having smart meters
    - You'll no longer miss the meter reading person
    - There are no more estimates
    - I get discounts for dual fuel, direct debit, paperless statements, money back from bank for utilities spend.
    - I pay the same amount each month but if I don't spend the agreed amount they refund me every 12 weeks.

The downside
    - Eon say if I change energy suppliers in the future their smart meters may not work with the new supplier.

So far I'm happy with the arrangement and I have a small digital screen in-house that tells me how much it's costing per fuel per week.
    Exactly. ! Same here.
    Call me Mike.

Don't like them, adding more wifi to the home isn't a good thing

If you can't read your meter. Yes, possibly.

Other than that, a 'big brother its easier for us' and we will save money for the companies. They don't have to employ staff they to read.

We recently had a meter upgraded, not to smart meter, just from an analogue.. The installers views. Smart meters, don't get one.

In some areas of drought risk they HAVE been made compulsory for water.

Learn to read your meters and calculate if you can.

Remember you can get refunds on overpayments to your utility company is ridiculous.. My dads recently went up from a few hundred to 2000.. Sorry, thats not an accurate 'predicted usage' particularly as there are fewer people in the property now.!

"Big Brother" do you really think anyone is seriously interested what gas & electricity consumption you have ? Other than your supplier ?
    Call me Mike.

When did you last see a meter reader?

I mean a person who's job is to go round reading electricity or gas meters.

It's all estimated, customer reading, or smart meter.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Biscuitgazer
    In view of the fact that these companies get their money from reading our meters and billing us for what the meters say, you would think that these two activities are within their skill set. But no...they want to estimate our bills or send us to read our own meters and tell them the readings, and their bills are incomprehensible - and I'm not meaning people who can't multiply a price per kWh by a number of kWh consumed, to get a number of pounds spent, I am talking about truly unfathomable billing "systems" that e.g. issue a credit note every time you pay. Smart meters are there to outsmart consumers and suppliers alike.

Meter readers cost a lot of money, fact. Anything that keeps costs down is better for the consumer. When did you last see a bus conductor ?
    Call me Mike.

Biscuitgazer
    Anything that keeps costs down is better for the supplier! They are not interested in reducing our costs, we're a captive market. They would love us to all have smart meters, because then they need not employ (or even let us think they employ) meter readers, and their M.D.s can have bigger bonuses...