Thread: Income support stopped......

Income support stopped......

Hi everyone,

My 28 year old Son has been on Income support for 7 years because of long term acute anxiety disorder & depression. He did not have enough contributions to receive incapacity benefit. He has always lived at home but with much support he has now moved in with his long term girlfriend. She works full time & they have applied for housing benefit after using the benefits calculator on the government website.
    Today they have had a letter saying that because my Son is not now living at home, they have stopped his income support & he will have to rely on his girlfriends income. This has been a big surprise & it has obviously caused many problems with his anxiety disorder.
    He continues to be unfit to work & is a long way from being able to.
    Is there anything he can do regarding his income?

Any advice is warmly welcome.

There are other benefits he might be able to claim, such as ESA. I am not sure about DLA in his case. I would suggest the CAB or a similar local agency. It all depends on his needs, what he cannot do, what help he needs, what care he needs. In terms of DLA I doubt he could get Mobility, but may get lower care. If he can prove, with supporting evidence from doctors, that he has a condition that affects his ability to care for himself without some help he may stand a chance. On ESA, I have no idea. As I have posted on another Thread, I know about it all, but I understand none of it. There could be other benefits he might be able to claim, so independent advice could help. However, at the end of the day most benefits are means tested, & what his girlfriend earns will be taken into account, & why it seems he has lost is Income Support.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Thanks for your reply. I think you may be right about going to CAB but I will have to go for him as he is unable to because of his illness.

YW. I would see if you can deal with this for him. You may have to have written permission. At some point he needs to help himself. I do not wish to sound hard, far from it. The problem with people like him is that often the more people do for them they less they can do. Is he getting medical support, therapy for this? I am concerned that if your son cannot even deal with the CAB, even with support, then he is in a very vulnerable place. Some CAB offices can arrange home visits. If his or your local one or regional one can, would this be possible for him, with your support?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbyandco View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I think you may be right about going to CAB but I will have to go for him as he is unable to because of his illness.
    If he is unable to go out without help he should be trying for a DLA claim for low rate mobility - plus for any care needs which he has. That needs help from CAB if at all possible. There might be other advisors or help agencies nearby who would be able to arrange to visit him at home, but you would need to find out about what is available. Your local Council office might have a list.
    But his IB was awarded as Income Support because he hadn't paid enough NI contributions, so he can't on the face of it now claim contribution based ESA. So his partners income will - as far as the DWP is concerned - be enough for them as a couple.
    However there have been several changes to IB conditions since 1998, before ESA came in fully. He was under 25 when he went onto IB. The rules are very complicated and I haven't looked into them fully - but it would I think be worth trying to get a advisor to have a good look at his situation and the history of his IB claim, just to make sure the DWP is right in this case. I'm sorry I can't be more specific - and it might not get anywhere - but better to be sure.

I believe you are correct regarding his IB. He is going to relook at the ESA entitlement because he has just been through the new process & he continues to be unsuitable to work, so he must be entitled to something even though he no longer lives at home.

Many thanks for your information, now to put it all into practice

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by cmhbyandco View Post
    I believe you are correct regarding his IB. He is going to relook at the ESA entitlement because he has just been through the new process & he continues to be unsuitable to work, so he must be entitled to something even though he no longer lives at home.

Many thanks for your information, now to put it all into practice
    he might be entitled to something but many are having all benefits apart from DLA stopped due to partners income and hours worked........seek advice

Clearly it is the GFs income that is being taken into account. Your son will need to make a fresh claim for ESA as JSA will not be eligible in his case but ESA will depend on the couples income/hours worked. They may well be entitled to some housing and council tax benefit and your son DLA. The CAB is the only place to get the right answers.
    All the best
    Last edited by wobble1; 05-15-2012 at 12:58 PM.