Thread: Help understanding eligibility - Severe Disability Premium

Help understanding eligibility - Severe Disability Premium

Hello

I am quite confused about what makes you eligible for the Severe Disability Premium. I have looked this up but can't make sense of it regarding my current situation.
    My understanding is that I need to be in receipt of certain disability benefits, and the person I live with has to also receive qualifying benefits.

I receive income-related ESA, standard daily living PIP and enhanced mobility PIP.
    The person I live with, who I'm not in a relationship with, is in the Universal Credit Support Group (limited capability for work related activity) - I've heard this called 'new style ESA'

Am I eligible for the SDP? I apologise if this is difficult to make sense of, it's very confusing to me!

Many thanks

Bad news. You are single and receive a qualifying benefit ( PIP dl ). The person you live with is a non dependant adult, and doesn't receive a qualifying benefit, ESA is not a qualifying benefit and presumably not registered blind. For SDP purpose you are treated as a couple even though you are not, so SDP is not payable.
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Quote Originally Posted by David69 View Post
    Bad news. You are single and receive a qualifying benefit ( PIP dl ). The person you live with is a non dependant adult, and doesn't receive a qualifying benefit, ESA is not a qualifying benefit and presumably not registered blind. For SDP purpose you are treated as a couple even though you are not, so SDP is not payable.
    This may be true but may not be!

The person the OP lives with may not be treated as a non dependent. It does depend on the set up of the arrangement. If both the OP and the person they are living with share accommodation but have separate liabilities for rent to a landlord and are not a close family member then the OP may be entitled to the SDP (assuming that no one is claiming carer's allowance for them.)

So, OP what are the living arrangements?

When in doubt make a claim and give them the details of the living arrangements/tenancy agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    This may be true but may not be!

The person the OP lives with may not be treated as a non dependent. It does depend on the set up of the arrangement. If both the OP and the person they are living with share accommodation but have separate liabilities for rent to a landlord and are not a close family member then the OP may be entitled to the SDP (assuming that no one is claiming carer's allowance for them.)

So, OP what are the living arrangements?

When in doubt make a claim and give them the details of the living arrangements/tenancy agreements.
    We're joint tenants, so we are named on the same tenancy agreement. We each pay an equal share of the rent.
    I don't have any familial relationship with either my housemate or the landlord.
    Hope this information is helpful

In the case that I do have a valid claim, how do I put my claim in for SDP? I was under the impression it was included in ESA payments.

Thank you

In the case that I do have a valid claim, how do I put my claim in for SDP? I was under the impression it was included in ESA payments.
    It's usually done using form 'IS 10', though you can also write explaining your circumstances but you will need to be precise about these. In both cases send to the address on your last ESA award letter, give them the exact dates of when both your ESA & PIP awards began.

Quote Originally Posted by kie2 View Post
    ...the Universal Credit Support Group (limited capability for work related activity) - I've heard this called 'new style ESA'
    Just to point out that UC-LCWRA is not ''New style ESA'.

'New style ESA' is simply a new claim for Contributions Based ESA (WRAG or SG) made in a UC full service area.
    (It is still ESA it is not Universal Credit).

UC-LCWRA is the UC equivalent of Income Related Support Group.
    UC-LCW is the UC equivalent of Income Related WRAG.

The difference is if the new claim is Contribution Based (new style ESA) or Income Related (UC with LCW or LCWRA).

It might seem a small point,
    but if you are talking to the DWP and use the wrong term then any conversation will soon be at cross purposes.
    They will think you are talking about one, when actually you are talking about the other.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.