Thread: Can I keep the national insurance contribution part of ESA

Can I keep the national insurance contribution part of ESA

I have income-related ESA and will be moving home with my parents soon because of health reasons this will mean that my house will count as part of my savings and the rent I hope to achieve will count as an income; therefore I won't be eligible for any money from ESA. But would I be able to just get the national insurance credits? If it helps I get the enhanced daily rate of PIP.

Yes you can downgrade your ESA IR to national insurance credits only if you have too much money and on ESA WRAG that has ran out, but dont close your claim, however you could switch to Contribution Based ESA only if it is still available to you, which could net you £219.30 per fortnight if you're in the support group, but you will have to pay for prescriptions and dentist fees and etc.

If you're not entitled to any payments your claim can remain open and you will receive NI credits, but you first need to check whether or not your claim for ESA began as a Contributions Based Award.
    If you are in the Support Group of ESA which I take it you are and that is the case, you still may be entitled to the basic CB award (£109pw).

You need to check this carefully,
    your PIP payments have nothing to do with this and won't be affected in any way.

Thanks Jard, I double checked and it was income-related; although I am in the support group so it looks like I'll have to rely on PIP and some rent.