Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant Pain

Constant Pain

Hi all,

I am awake still with shooting pains in both legs. I had my PIP assessment last month and was found to be able to walk no more than 50 meters.

The person who did the assessment said that it looks to be a degenerative back condition that causes reduce power in my legs and causes pain.

Up until last week I was trying to manage the pain with paracetamol and codeine and also iburoprofen. It wasn't even touching it and was taking max doses of both. I went to the doctors which I had put off before because I need to lose weight and everything has been "due to weight" it feels like if I went to doctors with a broken arm it will be down to weight.

I am waiting for an an appointment for bariatric surgery and took my other half who explained I was in pain all the time. The Doctor has given me Tramadol 50mg which I can take 1-2 of 4 times a day.

I went straight for 2 tablets 4 times a day but still the pain is there all the time.

I just don't know what to do anymore

Go back to your GP. Perhaps ask for a deferral.
    Call me Mike.

I've had 24/7 pain for 40 years. I've tried all sorts of pain killers and they may work for a while but you might end up constipatrd as a side effect.

Remember that pain is in the mind. If you want to feel pain you will.

Exercise like swimming or cycling relieve pain.

I have neuropathic pain and the pill for that is Gabapentin. I only take it at night to stop my leg jumping.

Think positive and get active is my advice.

If only it was a case of one cap fits all.
    Pain is a natural warning signal that something is not right ignore that an you could just make things worse.
    If you want to feel pain you will never heard that one before Lighttouch Not sure anyone wants to feel pain.
    Everyone is different and may be able to cope better than others
    I too have suffered for 44yrs and have learned
    There is not a one cap fits all answer. Its because we all differ that Drs still do not fully understand/appreciate the affects of this condition

Pain is controllable by thought alone.

Having dentistry work I don't need local anaesthetic as I think my pain to my thumb.

Surgeons know this. I had an epidural for back pain. One surgeon operated on my back while the other chatted to me at the front no pain felt as my mind was diverted.

Lighttouch So you just took all those pills for fun?.
    Last edited by sable22; 07-27-2017 at 11:42 PM.

I experience daily pain, but endure much of it based on the fact that I don't want to be on that much medication, and the fact that I've had alternative treatments to help me live with and manage it. Many local hospitals run 'Mindfulness' courses that can help with pain management. I'm not going to go into detail as there's much online that you can research, or ask your partner to. I also did a course in Autogenic training that as far as I know is less common on the NHS - it's a form of self hypnosis - both practices are used to assist pain sufferers. It's purely subjective, but either one may help you manage your pain. Hope that helps - good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Pain is controllable by thought alone.

Having dentistry work I don't need local anaesthetic as I think my pain to my thumb.

Surgeons know this. I had an epidural for back pain. One surgeon operated on my back while the other chatted to me at the front no pain felt as my mind was diverted.
    BOLLOCKS!! LT how can you say pain is controllable by thought alone and yet take Gabapentin?? Sorry mate there are folks on here in real physical pain and my guess is they will disagree with you!

Reddivine, I'm not joking that pain is all in the mind.

I have Gabapentin but it doesn't mean I bother to take them as I don't with morphine.

i have become accustomed to constant pain. My pain threshold is so high that additional pain no longer registers as anything special. Sudden extra pain can catch me out for 2/3 seconds but I can think my way through it.

I also have a high pain threshold and never have locals at the dentist, BUT, there is pain and pain. Some you can overcome by your mindset and other that no matter how hard you try cannot. That is where medical help comes into play.