Thread: ESA and carer's allowance

Red face ESA and carer's allowance

Last year I started claiming carer's allowance for my son,I have been on ESA for 6 years,of course when I firsted started claiming( after working 17 years) I had to appeal as I was deemed fit for work,anyway after 2 years I won my appeal and was awarded back pay (woop woop).

I was on ESA with the added component which made it £101 per week, as soon as I claimed carers allowance my ESA went down to £73 per week, so really I was getting a lot less than the £62 carers allowance per week. I have been so ill myself the last 2 months I can no longer care for my son 35 hours per week,so I wrote to care's allowance and told them. My ESA still remains at £73 per week,is this right, even though I won my appeal 4 years ago.
    The letter I got from ESA last year stated I have been on ESA for over 365 days so the amount was being reduced. I have tried ringing local benefit advice lines only to be constantly kept on hold for 20 minutes plus.

Any advice on the matter would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by breezer2908 View Post
    Last year I started claiming carer's allowance for my son,I have been on ESA for 6 years,of course when I firsted started claiming( after working 17 years) I had to appeal as I was deemed fit for work,anyway after 2 years I won my appeal and was awarded back pay (woop woop).

I was on ESA with the added component which made it £101 per week, as soon as I claimed carers allowance my ESA went down to £73 per week, so really I was getting a lot less than the £62 carers allowance per week. I have been so ill myself the last 2 months I can no longer care for my son 35 hours per week,so I wrote to care's allowance and told them. My ESA still remains at £73 per week,is this right, even though I won my appeal 4 years ago.
    The letter I got from ESA last year stated I have been on ESA for over 365 days so the amount was being reduced. I have tried ringing local benefit advice lines only to be constantly kept on hold for 20 minutes plus.

Any advice on the matter would be helpful.
    Can you please confirm?

Were you receiving contribution based ESA when you first claimed and were you placed in the WRAG group or the support group?

When you claimed Carer's Allowance were you actually receiving the money?

What are your circumstances? Do you have a partner who is working?

If you were on contribution based ESA and in the WRAG group then the contribution based part would have ended after 365 days. Then you would have been assessed for income based ESA which would have been based on your and your partner's (if any) income and savings.

Difficult to comment without knowing the above details but my immediate thoughts are that they are now giving you the new ESA WRAG amount which came into effect on April 2017. As far as I am aware since you were already assessed for ESA before that date then you should still be entitled to the ESA with the WRAG component. If this is the case then you need to ring and find out why you aren't getting this.

The other reason may be that you are getting a 'run on' of Carer's Allowance which is then still counted as income.

Please answer my questions and we may be able to help further.

I live with my son and his father my ex we split 7 years ago,he works full time but earns a low wage.I was in the work related group and it was income based.I won my case at a tribunal over 4 years ago. when I claimed carer's allowance last september it was back dated to April.Then I was getting £248 a month but my ESA was halved.Now I do not get care's allowance and my ESA remains at £73 a week. Is there anything I can advise. I have written,but had no reply in 4 weeks.

I'd start with calling ESA and making sure they're aware you no longer claim carers allowance. They should be able to sort things out for you.